Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Liquid cooling: To liquid cool or not? ....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 frldyz

frldyz

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:16 PM

First I want to thank everyone for their response about SATA III connections.  It helped a lot.

As I mentioned I am building this PC from the ground up

It's purpose will be a basic computer.  But at some point I would like to get into some gaming.  I don't think I'll get too serious into it.

Like I mentioned this is a basic purpose PC.  I would like to getsome software to do some editing on our family videos at some point in time

My next question is cooling.

I have an i7 4790k.  Its more of a processor then I need.  But I got a screaming deal on it @ Microcenter for $250!

Everyone has told me to replace the fan as it sucks.

I do not intend to overclock.

But I am taking this build serious.  Money is not an issue.  I would like to put the best parts on/in it to get the most out of it.  And hopefully get more longevity.

When I was @ Micro center the lady had recommended I go with a closed loop liquid cooling system.  And toss the i7 fan in the garbage.

Is liquid cooling way to much of an overkill for my needs.  I know its more then is necessary.  But will it negatively hurt to go with liquid cooling.  Or would I get better performance out of an air cooled unit.

I have a Corsair 760t case.  So room and venting is not a problem.

Thanks in advance everyone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:54 PM

A decent air cooler will do you fine, not found of over killing with something that may pee in your box!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:01 PM

I have an intel i5 4590 processor in my system, and I am using the stock cooler and case fans (3 total). My CPU rarely gets above 40 C, and I've never seen it above 45 C.

Liquid cooling would make me nervous about either the pump giving out or a leak developing somewhere.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:06 PM

The first "gaming rig" I built for myself I put together a custom water cooled system that is still going strong on my son's desk.

That being said.  Aftermarket cpu coolers are MUCH better than stock coolers and have come a long way over the years as far as performance goes.  Also, water cooled ' combo kits ' have come a long way too and they are able to cool the processor better than air coolers.  At this point I think it would just be personal preference.  If you go with an aftermarket cooler I like the ones from Noctua.  And there is nothing wrong with going water cooled either.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,752 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:32 PM

Check this it does a very good job light weight and does not stress the board as much as some.

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-TC14S.html

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:41 PM

I put this in my new build on the computer I use at home now.  Mind you.. my son thought it was a car part.  I wanted this computer to be nearly silent.  So it uses.. you guessed it.. Nofan.  The only sound coming out of my computer now is the GPU card fans. Oh well It's nearly silent.

#7 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:48 PM

I have 3 case fans, the CPU, GPU and PSU each have their own fan as well. The only time I hear noise coming from my case, is when the DVD writer spins up. No offense, but that fan-less CPU cooler just seems ridiculously impractical.

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:04 PM

No offense taken .. It was something different and I do not have the added ' problem ' of the cpu fan getting clogged with dust.  I did put a Noctua case fan in and connected it to the cpu fan header otherwise my computer wouldn't POST.  To each his own and I thought it was a cool design for an ongoing issue of do I get fan'd cooler or go water.. I decided to go with neither. :thumbsup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users