Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfer of content.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kuvasz

Kuvasz

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:35 PM

Hello, Quick back ground then question.

I help out with a 501c3 not for profit. Very small org. so we save money all we can. Their small HP computer died. Power supply went out. Before I could offer to replace just the PS, they were given a new HP computer. Both are running Win8. very little software is loaded but they did have some accounting info and word docs on the other drive. The old drive is good. its a WD 1tb drive. I had an extra external enclosure sitting here and put the old drive in it. It works fine. However, I can't seem to find the documents on that drive nor can I get the accounting SW to open.

How do I transfer all the datat from the old drive to the new system? With everything in the right place? How about simply replacing the new HD with old one and booting it up from there? Would that work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:17 PM

If the two computers are identical models, swapping over the hard drives might work, if they are different models it almost certainly won't !  The reason is the hardware components and the different drivers they require.

Your accounting software needs to be re-installed on the new computer, as will any other applications that are required.

Your data should be accessible from the old drive when it is connected and can be transferred using Windows Explorer and 'drag and drop'. Unless this data was kept in a special folder - I keep nearly all mine in a folder on C:\ called 'Workfile' - then you will find it somewhere in C:\Users in one or other of the 'Appdata' folders.

There is one other possible 'dirty' solution !  Take the PSU out of the new computer and try it in the old one along with the original hard drive. The risk here is that when the PSU went out it did secondary damage to the motherboard and possibly other components.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Kuvasz

Kuvasz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. They are not the same model but are the same brand. The old HP was a slim/small model and the PS is not a standard size. The new computer has an external PS much like a laptop. 

I looked all around the old drive and couldn't find any .doc files at all. Stuff that would have been saved from Word, PowerPoint or Excel. Where would those be found? Really those Excel and Word files are all we need. The accounting stuff can be reinstalled and our accountant has all of those files backed up/stored on a thumb drive. I think the accounting program is actually downloadable so thats no big deal. I went out and got the printer drivers so thats good. Downloaded Office too so thats in place. Really all we need are the old documents. I will be setting them up a cloud drive, or whatever Microsoft calls it, so that stuff cant be lost. (I'm an Apple guy. Gave up on MS when XP went out the window.)

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,294 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:37 PM

The only other place I can think they could be stored in is 'Libraries - documents'. Alternatively, if you know the name of any one of these files try doing a search on the file name. If you find one you should find the rest. Search, particularly in win 8, is fairly powerful.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Kuvasz

Kuvasz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:22 PM

Actually I just swapped the drives and it works just fine. Took a minute to load all the correct drivers, but no issues.

Thanks for the help.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,294 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:02 PM

Now that you are in a position to find all your files I suggest you take the opportunity to back them up to external storage. Several reasons. First of all, should you have a similar problem in the future you will have a back-up copy to hand. Secondly, you can't just go swapping Windows OSs around like this !

HP build computers with what are called OEM licensed operating systems. The important bit is that these versions are tied to the motherboard and to replace the mobo with a different one - which effectively is what you have done - requires authentication from MS, normally within 30 days. If you don't get authentication then funny things start happening with the OS. I have no personal experience of this but, from other topics on BC, I gather that strange things start happening to your desktop !

Whatever you do, don't lose that second hard drive !  If needs be it can always be put back in the computer and the business files copied to it from the back-up you are going to make. You will then be back in the position of having a legal licensed copy of Win 8.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users