Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor doesn't always see the PCI-E GPU 'No Signal detected'

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Graphicool1

Graphicool1

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:35 AM

Hi Guys

I'm running this again, in case someone has had a brainwave or it is seen by new eyes.

This is the link for last time I ran it...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/565770/intermittently-my-monitor-says-no-signal-detected/

Windows 7 64 bit Pro
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost
RAM 16.0GB
PSU CORSAIR CX750
CPU Intel Quad Core i7-2600K
Sound Card Soundblaster Z

Somewhere around the middle of last year my monitor started saying 'No Signal detected'. Then go on 'Stand By'. I tried all sorts of things. Like...

Switching the monitor on and off

Unplugging it and re-plugging it to the PC

Rebooting the PC

Switching the PC fully off, then on again

Eventually the monitor would come on and all would be fine, until either the next day or a few days later. Then I would have to go through the whole scenario again and again. Until eventually nomatter what I did it wouldn't come on at all.

So I hooked up a spare TV it came on straight away. But the screen was smaller than I wanted for playing on line games. So I bought a new monitor. It came on straight away. My thought was the old monitor must have become faulty. But I didn't chuck it out.

A few months later and the new monitor started doing the same thing as the older one had done. So, I plugged the old one in again. Straight away it was up and running, no problems. Until another few weeks passed and it all started again. Once again I swapped back to the new one and it was fine for a while.

Then nomatter what I did it just said 'No Signal Detected'

So then I thought perhaps it was the Graphics Card? So I plugged the monitor into the on board graphics port 'Intel HD Graphics & Media'  and it came on straight away. How long it would be before it once again starts acting up I don't know.

But, whatever, as it stands It's not good enough or fast enough for online MMORPG's, which I am somewhat addicted to.

Many people have suggested many things and I have tried most of their suggestions and some of my own ideas.

All this started after I moved the PC into a garden office. Because of the insulation in the office my PC is unable to connect to the in house router wirelessly. So I had to set up wall outlet/socket extenders, which connect to my PC via an Ethernet lead.

There are more things I have tried since all this, but I don't want to muddy the waters and stop your creative juices flowing.

Edited by hamluis, 25 February 2015 - 10:29 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 reast82

reast82

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:56 PM

A couple thisngs come to mind

- Make sure BIOS is updated

- Make sure chipset driver updated

- And isplay adapter driver

Also sometins the hibernate file gets wonky and Windows won't always pull out of hybernation gracefully. Disable hybernation:

At an elevated command prompt run --> powercfg -h off

It should delete C:\hiberfil.sys, but if not, manually delete it

#3 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:09 AM

Hi Reast82

Thanks for your response. however as for hibernation, I don't use it, never have. 

Which display adapter driver are you refering to?..."display adapter driver"

As for updating the BIOS & Chipset, I can't see why this would have any baring on my problem. Up until last year it had been working fine without these things being updated. So why should updating them make any difference?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:15 PM

If this is related to a graphics driver you can test this by running the computer in Safe Mode.

Safe Mode uses a native Windows graphics driver, not the NVIDIA driver.  If the problem doesn't persist in Safe Mode, it's a pretty good bet that your problem is a corrupt NVIDIA driver.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 reast82

reast82

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:36 PM

The display adapter i sthe item in device manager that corresponds to your graphics card. To bring up device manager just type devmgmt.msc at a command promt or in the run box.

This should get you to the correct driver -- http://www.geforce.com/drivers

#6 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:35 AM

Hi dc3

"If this is related to a graphics driver"

The thing is I'm not sure what the problem is. As I said it's only manifested since I moved my rig from the house to the garden office. Prior to that it was fine. When I moved to the office I discovered that the insulation in the walls and ceiling had a silver coating and it blocked wireless waves. So I had to connect via an Ethernet lead extender, which consists of two plugs, one plugs into a wall socket near the router and the other plugs into a wall socket near the PC. An Ethernet lead runs from the router to the first extender and another Ethernet lead runs from the second extender to the PC. The only way I can get my Nvidia GPU to be seen by and connect to the monitor is to do the following...

First I have to unplug the Ethernet lead from the PC, then I turn on the monitor and PC together. Once Windows has opened I can then reconnect the Ethernet lead to the PC and all is fine. Till either the next time I start the PC or if I install something and have to reboot, then once again I get the...'No Signal Detected' and then goes on 'Stand By'. I have to add that this proceedure isn't always guaranteed to work. When it doesn't, I unplug the Nvidia GPU and run a lead to the onboard Intel graphics, which always works.

I've tried different leads, I've tried connecting to the HDMI, DVI and D-sub, but the outcome is always the same. When this started (middle of last year) all my Nvidia drivers were bang up to date and always are. But on a suggestion I uninstalled the GPU, reinstalled it and put in the old drivers. This made no difference. Somewhere else on the Internet I read that the problem could lie with the BIOS. They were talking to someone else with a simular problem and suggested that they should enter the BIOS then into Advanced and look for PCI-E (which is the GPU card slot). I went and had a look and it listed 3 things iGPU, GPU (I can't remember the third). Anyway, against the PCI-E listing I had the choice of Disable, Auto (which is what it was/is set to) and Enable. I didn't change anything.   

#7 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:45 AM

Hi Guys

"I went and had a look and it listed 3 things iGPU, GPU (I can't remember the third). Anyway, against the PCI-E listing I had the choice of Disable, Auto (which is what it was/is set to) and Enable. I didn't change anything."

This is mainly incorrect. I've since been back into the BIOS and taken note of the details, which are as follows...

BIOS - ADVANCED - System Agent Config - Graphics Config - Primary Display. In here there are 4 choices of setting that can be made. Which are...Auto - iGPU - PCIE - PCI...the selection was and still is 'Auto' mainly because I was uncertain if I should change it or not. I'm thinking that this setting gives the BIOS the choice of selection, whereas if I set it to 'PCI-E' and it doesn't receive the 'signal?' it won't start at all. So it's best to leave the status quo.

Meanwhile I'm still using the unplugging of the Ethernet method and so far it's started everytime...but why do I have to do this and how can I get round it and start my PC normally?  

#8 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:26 AM

UPDATE

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST - Device Manager:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

What's this all about? Any suggestions guys???!!

Edited by Graphicool1, 03 March 2015 - 06:27 AM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:39 AM

Hi dc3

"If this is related to a graphics driver"

The thing is I'm not sure what the problem is. As I said it's only manifested since I moved my rig from the house to the garden office. Prior to that it was fine.   

You have stated that the physical connection between the router and the computer works, I believe that can be ruled out as the problem. 

Something could have been jostled loose when you moved it.  Open the computer and check all of your connections, power cables, data cables, and especially you dedicated graphics card.

How far is the run of the eight wire cable from the router to the computer? 

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

==========

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• Flush DNS
• Report IE Proxy Settings
• Reset IE Proxy Settings
• Report FF Proxy Settings
• Reset FF Proxy Settings
• List content of Hosts
• List IP configuration
• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:42 AM

Hi dc3

Before I do what you've asked, can I just tell you that just before your post I clicked on the 'ASUS GPU Tweak' and it said...  

"Fail to load dll. Please install VGA driver"

I was about to uninstall the GPU and reinstall it. My question is: Should I continue to do that or ignore it and just do what you've asked? 

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:51 AM

Now we've come full circle.  This is why I had requested that you boot into Safe Mode to see if the problem persisted.

Please do the Speccy Snapshot so I will know what we are working with.  Don't bother with the MiniToolBox.

#12 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:59 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/PSAmDRvz3SfDkFaznVBXq7S

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:21 AM

Try the first download at the Intel Download Center.

#14 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:05 AM

Been there, installed that. But apart from giving me more choices of tweaking my onboard graphics I see little other use for it. It's still too slow to play online MMORPG's and I'm still being asked to load the VGA driver, by the ASUS GPU Tweak. Also my Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST graphics card isn't even booting intermittently at present. As you have or rather haven't seen (as it isn't even showing in Speccy) because it wasn't detected.

I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs at present and thinking should I wait for you to come back online or should I just go ahead  uninstall and reinstall my GPU, it's a dilemma and not least because I'm not the worlds most patient person.

Further to above, I thought I would add that I went to ASUS and downloaded their latest VGA Driver. But when I tried to install it, it said that the driver I was trying to instal is older the the one I already have and it showed me the...

Intel_Graphics_Win7_VER917102884

Which I installed this morning at your behest? So why doesn't the ASUS GPU Tweak accept it?

Edited by Graphicool1, 04 March 2015 - 10:23 AM.

#15 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:35 AM

Hi dc3

I saw you were online yesterday, I waited but you didn't give me a shout? I'm guessing that you're fresh out of ideas. I didn't reinstall the card after all, but I did reseat it yet again and I checked all the plugs and leads. It didn't make any difference though. It still didn't join the party when I booted back up!

However, this morning I turned the router extender off at the wall socket, booted up and bingo 'Nvidia' was back up and running!? It was the first time in a week that I'd turned the router extender off and first time in a week that Nvidia has come out to play.

I thought that you or anyone else who might care to have a look, would like to see what 'SPECCY' says now that my graphics card is running...

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/sG8MVkxDDXW0JWi7Fh24TvF

Edited by Graphicool1, 05 March 2015 - 06:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users