Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Discovered Something Trying To Connect To Internet!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 English Teacher

English Teacher

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:50 PM

Hello,
Yesterday my 3 year old daughter pulled the phone extension for my computer out of the socket by mistake!!
However, after a few seconds of lost contact, iI found a window saying that a user or program wanted to connect to a website and what connection I should connect with!!
I have disconnected several times myself just to see what asks for the internet and still get the same results!!

A few of these I believe to be innocent eg. pa2.zonelabs.com , www.siteadvisor, (my email via outlook) pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk

But as for these others I don't know why they are trying to connect to the internet!! If anybody can tell me if they are legit or not....
All start with www. (so I will leave that out!!)
msnbc.com paypal.com intel.com gateway.com ge.com passport.com comcast.com motorola.com oracle.com google.com monster.com wannadoo.fr juno.com uunet.com ebay.com altavista.com hp.com geocities.com excite.com

System specs:
Windows XP PRO SP2, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, PENT 4. ADSL Internet Connection,
Anti-virus: AVG-free
Anti-spy: SpywareBlaster, Spybot, Ad-Aware-SE, Ewido and Spyaudit (requires internet connection)
Online scanners used: Pandasoftware (activescan) and Kaspersky.com

Action taken so far:
Ran CCLEANER, Updated all anti-spy and anti-virus programs (which are updated everytime I connect to the internet), ran scans in safe-mode (NB. I do frequent quick scans and every two weeks run full scans "Unless I find someting bad in the meantime")
Results: Only a few bad cookies eg mediaplex and good ones like yahoo, bleepingcomputer, bbc

Thanks in advance for any help
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:30 AM

Hi English Teacher.

I'll leave it to others more knowledgeable to comment, but for your interest have you had a look at the 'startup database' at the top of this page - just under the HOME tab?

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users