Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Certificates in Windows 8 and which are necesary

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 len.moret

len.moret

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:44 AM

Hey All,

I am a regular listener to the  pod casts of Steve Gibson on Twit "security now". On every episode there are stories about fraudulent certificates used by several apps and crapware in particular which we could do without. 

To do something about it I opened the certificate manager and saw a frightening long list of certificates of which I could not say if these were ok or not. I tried Microsoft but saw only a list of necessary certificates for Windows up to #7. Moreover that list was so short that it makes me fear for My OS.

Can anybody show me to a list of certificates windows 8 really needs and which certificates are not suspect?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Len

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:35 AM

Hi len.moret :)

What you could do is to screenshot that list of certificates and post it here so we could take a look at them. This way, we could help you determinate which are safe and which ones aren't.

How to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:
  • Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Once done, attach that screenshot to your next reply;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 len.moret

len.moret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:19 AM

Hi Aura,

The list of certificates is very long and exceeds the borders of my laptop screen. I couldn't get snippy to copy and paste past the borders of my  laptop screen so I tried exporting the certificates to an excel file. I made two which I pasted here under. 

Thanks in advance for your effort.

Len

Edited by len.moret, 25 February 2015 - 07:51 AM.

#4 len.moret

len.moret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:33 AM

Hi Aura,

Excel sheets won't post on this forum, can you educate me on how to paste tabular data in these messages. btw Snippy won't post either not even with pastebin.

What am I doing wrong here?

Edited by len.moret, 25 February 2015 - 07:51 AM.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:14 AM

If you the document is too large, you won't be able to attach it here since there's an upload limit. Is it an Excel document with your certificates? If so, upload it to ge.tt and post the download URL of that file here.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:11 AM

If you want to post a screenshot of the image upload it to a site such as http://imgur.com/

You might have to break it down into smaller snipped segments.

After it uploads copy the link for BBCode (message boards & forums) and paste the link in your post.

For example, I uploaded an image to imgur.

This is the code for that image

[img]http://i.imgur.com/g3mhXky.png[/img]

When I paste the link in this post this image will be seen

g3mhXky.png

(my grandaughter drew this when she was 4 years old. She called it Rainbow Pig)

Your image may not be this large.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 February 2015 - 10:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users