Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop locking up and BSOD

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ug505

ug505

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:22 AM

Hello everyone,

Desktop with the problem: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227505

Speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7x8aiyMbpUrUq38y06miW5E

I'm new to the forums but I've been here many times finding relatable questions and solutions to my problems. However, I now have a problem I am unable to solve. For the past five days, my computer has been freezing/locking up randomly. I won't be able to move my mouse, use my keyboard, or ctrl + alt + del. Any sound playing will get stuck and "loop." The only way out is to hard boot. No specific event has been causing this to happen. I can be playing a game, on YouTube, idling at desktop, or simply talking on Skype. The freezing leaves no Event Logs in Event Viewer or any dump files. I'm not sure what is causing it, but I did do something right before this started happening. I updated my UEFI using "UEFI Internet Flash" that was in my UEFI menu. It updated my UEFI Firmware, which the only thing it added was "bug fixes."

Before the UEFI update, however, I have added hardware to my computer. I replaced 2 x 4GB memory sticks with new 2 x 8GB memory sticks and I added a new SSD last month with no problems up until now.

Since the lockups have been happening, I've been diagnosing. I automatically assumed hardware. I ran Memtest86+ overnight and had 4 passes and 0 errors. I installed CrystalDiskInfo and it told me my hard drives are fine. I ran Furmark to see if it was my GPU, it ran for an hour with no problems at all. But it eventually froze again, when I wasn't testing. I thought about my temperatures but my idle temperature for my CPU is 35C, my GPU is 53C, and my hard drives are around 30C (I do NOT overclock by the way.) I then decided to open the case up and clean out all the dust and make sure all cables were in nice and tight, just in case. It still crashed later. Then today I figured it could be a driver. I figured instead of guessing, I'll just reinstall my OS. So I did that, reinstalled all my drivers from my motherboard's website, reinstalled my graphics drivers from Nvidia, and just used my computer all day. Everything was going fine actually, it didn't crash for most of the day. But then about an hour ago, I got a BSOD. It showed a message and successfully made a dump, which I will include. The message was CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT, which from researching that error, means my CPU could possibly be going bad. I've gone from locking up to BSOD. I just want my computer to finally start working.

Edit: The dump was too large for me to upload, so I created an HTML report of the dump.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users