Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't post in this general forum, Where do all the super nerdz hang?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zipnerdz

zipnerdz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:23 PM

Fellow Nerdz,

Is there some secret tech IRC I don't know about? Sometimes I read the Bomgar forums, trying to stay away from, "so i clicked it but nothing happened", and other posts that are no help to us techs. 

Do I need to use my dev skills to create a forum/app just for techs?

Am I living life too much irl and not enough url? (I am getting old)

Help me out fellow nerds :-)

Hopefully I can contribute something of value myself.

Thanks,
Lon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:30 PM

Hello there,

Where we geeks hang out depend on which area we specialize in :) Personally I'm in the Security section most of the time.

Do you have any particular preference in mind? OS support, hardware, security etc.?

Alex

#3 zipnerdz

zipnerdz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:38 PM

Well, I would like to be an more advanced in virus removal and preventative security measures.

Here are some questions I think about.

Is paying for any of the free antivirus software worth it for home users? If so, which?

For small business? Router/Hardware firewall? SaS? Affilliate/Partner programs techs are happy with?

Remote virus removal? By hand? Using combofix remotely?

Theres more, but these seem to bug me, because searching the internet is information overload for these questions.

-Lon

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:03 AM

Hello there,

Let's answer your questions one by one, shall we?

Is paying for any of the free antivirus software worth it for home users? If so, which?

I think it depends on the individual - mostly on how they use the machine. Without proper safe surfing then there is no software in the world that can save you from infections.

A free AV combined with an AM (anti-malware) solution and the Windows Firewall is enough for users in most cases.

In my case, I use a laptop and have to travel, so I use a security suite (which is an AV with more functionalities).

For small business? Router/Hardware firewall? SaS? Affilliate/Partner programs techs are happy with?

I will leave this question to someone more knowledgeable in corporate security :) my knowledge mostly applies to home users.

Remote virus removal? By hand? Using combofix remotely?

In case you haven't noticed already, the Bleeping Computer Study Hall offers malware removal training :)

And the use of ComboFix without supervision is very dangerous. You can read more in here.

Regards,
Alex

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:25 AM

Fellow Nerdz,

Is there some secret tech IRC I don't know about? Sometimes I read the Bomgar forums, trying to stay away from, "so i clicked it but nothing happened", and other posts that are no help to us techs. 

Hopefully I can contribute something of value myself.

Why stay away from "so I clicked it but nothing happened"?
Such posts may not interest you but to the posters it is a very real issue that they want to resolve.

The may be of no use to techs but the techs could be of some use to the one posting about a problem.
Do you not want to try to help them resolve those issues if you have something to contribute that could help them?

A majority of the topics here will be of no help to you. Many of those seeking help are novice users. If you don't want to help someone-whether novice or not-that is your choice.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532535/malware-removal-training-program/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users