Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any suggestions about tweaking ESET NOD 32 V8?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 titan1

titan1

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:20 PM

I recently installed ESET NOD 32 V8 after uninstalling MSE.The interface is good.But it has some features I am quite unfamiliar with.Like the task scheduler.And may be the quick scan and full scan are renamed as smart scan and in-depth scans.The first scan took 19min 32 seconds to scan 97782 files.Is there any suggested tweaks for on demand scanning and real time protection which will bolster the protection?Or should I leave it there as it is?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:15 PM

Hi titan :)

Usually, what people do is to schedule a quick scan at least once per day, and a full scan once a week. Combine the real-time protection of your ESET Nod32 Antivirus with these two types of scan and you have a real 24/7 protection going on here on your system. I would say that pretty much every "default" settings on Antivirus products are quite optimized. People that "tweaks" it or adjust it does it for personal reason. For example, let's say that someone doesn't have a really powerful system and he would schedule a full scan on a time range where he's not on the computer doing anything: gaming, watching videos, etc. in order to save resources. The other might be someone who browse dangerous websites and download everything he finds (which is not a good habit, nor something to do) and he schedules a quick scan every hour or two. Customizing your Antivirus reflects your way of using your computer. If you use it like any other casual users, I don't see the need in customizing it. Also, you want to make sure that ESET won't run his scan at the same time as other security products you have installed, such as Malwarebytes or Emsisoft Anti-Malware (there's also others products like SUPERAntiSpyware, Spybot Search & Destroy, etc.) since this could cause system instability and either crash it or make it really sluggish.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 titan1

titan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:51 PM

Hi aura.Thanks for your response.Actually,by tweaking I wanted to mean about setting heuristics higher than default etc.As for other security products,I have malwarebytes free,hitman pro and sandboxie free..I hope they won't start fighting with Eset.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:51 PM

Generally there are three types of scans offered by most anti-virus and anti-malware programs:
  • Quick Scan only checks the areas of your computer most likely to contain malware...the most prevalent and common places where malware typically hides. The length of time for performing a Quick scan will vary but it generally takes about 15-30 minutes so they can be performed daily.
  • Full Scan is much more comprehensive since it scans the entire hard drive (all folders/files) which can number in the thousands. The length of time for performing a Full scan will also vary but because it is so comprehensive, this type of scan can take several hours. Most Full Scans can be scheduled to run late at night when not using the computer so you can perform a weekly scan without having to monitor it.
  • Custom Scan allows the user to select any files and folders on the hard drive to be scanned.
ESET NOD32 includes options for a Smart Scan, Custom Scan..., Removable media scan and a Repeat last scan. The Smart Scan is the default scanning profile...it uses an optimization technology which excludes files found clean in a previous scan and have not been modified since that scan. This allows for shorter scan times during subsequent scanning, essentially making it a Quick Scan. Further, a thorough quick scan is performed after each update...memory as well as objects in startup locations are scanned automatically.To speed up a scan, clean out temporary (junk) files first, temporarily disable any other real-time protection tools, close all open programs, and do not use the computer during the scan.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:54 PM

They shouldn't. From what I know and experienced, all of these are compatible with ESET products. Also, you don't need to up the heuristics settings level unless, like I said, you have some dangerous habits on your computer that could make you end up infected. Usually, default settings on an Antivirus product are enough to fit the common user needs. When someone adjusts them right after an installation, it's to add exceptions for programs, processes, ports, websites, etc. Personally, I wouldn't change the default settings unless you want to: you have a reason to or you know what you're doing.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:54 PM

...by tweaking I wanted to mean about setting heuristics higher than default etc.

As for other security products,I have malwarebytes free,hitman pro and sandboxie free..I hope they won't start fighting with Eset.

Leave the default settings as they are...there is no need to tweak.

Malwarebytes and HitmanPro will not interfere. While I do no use HitmanPro, I run Emsisoft Anti-Malware along side my ESET.

#7 titan1

titan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:23 PM

Thank you aura and quitman 7.I will leave the settings as they are.
@quietman7, I have used emsisoft antimalware and online armor before.I don't know why,but emsisoft products don't play well on my system.Antimalware is too prone to produce false positive.And the online armor used to freeze my laptop continuously.So I think they don't fit me.But hitman pro is not a bad replacement either right?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:27 PM

Well titan if you wish to use Emsisoft products maybe we can help you determinate what's causing them to behave that way on your system and help you fix it so you can use them normally.

unite_blue.png

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:28 PM

I only use EAM, not Online Armor so I don't have any issues. Hitman Pro is good too but I prefer EAM.

#10 titan1

titan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:38 PM

Thanks aura.If I plan to use EAM in future,I will let you know.And then we will work out on this matter.Right now I am happy with eset.It is even lighter than MSE.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:43 PM

ESET products are known to be quite lightweight, I think Emsisoft can compete with them in them of lightweight and resources usage during scan times too but I can't say for sure, maybe quietman can. And no problem, let me know if you're ever ready to do that :)

unite_blue.png

#12 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:49 PM

Hello there,

If you ever choose to use Emsisoft Anti-Malware again, choosing the join the Anti-Malware Network can lower the amount of FPs. Also you can submit them to the forum in here. The staff team will review them and quickly correct the FP.

In terms of resources consumption I've heard stories of Emsisoft Anti-Malware being lighter than ESET NOD32, but I'm not sure :)

Alex

#13 nnathh

nnathh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:37 PM

Here's a simple was to make using ESET NOD32 more enjoyable... 

I find the splash screen shown at start up gets in my way, the good news is you can easily turn it and other graphics off. Click Setup > Enter advanced setup... > User interface > Graphics

Then you can uncheck the boxes you don't wan't to see

#14 titan1

titan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:17 AM

Here's a simple was to make using ESET NOD32 more enjoyable... 

I find the splash screen shown at start up gets in my way, the good news is you can easily turn it and other graphics off. Click Setup > Enter advanced setup... > User interface > Graphics

Then you can uncheck the boxes you don't wan't to see

But I have no problem with the splash screen.At least the robot looks cool enough. :thumbsup2:

#15 titan1

titan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:19 AM

Ok thank you everyone for your kind response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users