Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac Training for a Windows Engineer!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:32 PM

Hi all, 

I work as an IT Support Engineer mainly in Windows environments. I have never really messed around with Mac or Apple at all, we have the odd user with a macbook or iMac that we need to support, but most of the issues tend to be on the Windows VM's that they use. 

I feel like a bit of an "end user" when it comes to mac and I think it is about time i got a deeper understanding of them in regards to how they work, what they do etc, especially in a Helpdesk environment. 

I often wonder how to even install/uninstall programs? What is the equivalent to registry in Mac OS? Why is it more difficult for macs to get viruses, what causes them to get it and how do you remove them? Can you connect Mac's to a domain? 

There are basically lots of things I am looking to learn from the basics to a more advanced level as a support engineer. 

Would anyone be able to direct me in the right direction in order to learn? Video content would be better, i tend to learn better from videos as i can follow them on my end. I am also looking to potentially get industry recognized qualifications in mac if i learn a bit more, does anyone know the best place or the best qualifications to get with this?

Thanks very much in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:02 PM

I often wonder how to even install/uninstall programs? What is the equivalent to registry in Mac OS? Why is it more difficult for macs to get viruses, what causes them to get it and how do you remove them? Can you connect Mac's to a domain?

1. You drag the application to the Trash after closing it. It usually removes anything relating to the app upon doing so.
  2. PList files, aka Property Lists. This has some comparisons: http://www.macforensicslab.com/ProductsAndServices/index.php?main_page=document_general_info&cPath=11&products_id=271
  3. Because it's a lot easier and more profitable to infect 100k windows users; you can still easily get adware/malware on OS X. Usually you'll install something like Avast to remove malware.
  4. Yes, but OpenDirectory can be really buggy at times

Ian Carroll https://ian.sh • Certly Inc

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:21 PM

Hi all, 

I work as an IT Support Engineer mainly in Windows environments. I have never really messed around with Mac or Apple at all, we have the odd user with a macbook or iMac that we need to support, but most of the issues tend to be on the Windows VM's that they use. 

I feel like a bit of an "end user" when it comes to mac and I think it is about time i got a deeper understanding of them in regards to how they work, what they do etc, especially in a Helpdesk environment. 

I often wonder how to even install/uninstall programs?

As noted by iangcarroll, in most cases you can just delete the program (i.e. drag it to the trash) and that is it (in my experience this does NOT always "nuke" everything associates with the program). Some programs will have an install option in their installer program.

What is the equivalent to registry in Mac OS?

Not really. As noted, PLIST files are the closest thing, but they are still nothing like how the Registry behaves. In particular, you can "migrate" programs/applications from an old Mac to a new Mac you just purchased...unlike Windows programs (at least prior to Windows 8 interface programs) largely due to the Registry. Plus, messing with PLIST files are not nearly as "dangerous" as the Registry as you can usually just nuke a messed up PLIST file and it will be created again.

Why is it more difficult for macs to get viruses, what causes them to get it and how do you remove them?

I am not sure it is more difficult for Macs to get viruses...that aspect can open up a huge "Windows vs Mac OS (vs Linux)" debate/verbal war.

What is clear (as iangcarroll noted), is that there are crap ton more viruses/malware out there for Windows. This is largely due to their being WAY more Windows machines out there than Mac OS machines which means the malware writers get much more "bang for their buck" if they target Windows machines.

As to removing malware/viruses, you nominally do the same thing as you do with Windows...have a Antivirus program installed (I use Intego's VirusBarrier on my Macs) and then potentially some specialty programs as needed.

Can you connect Mac's to a domain?

Yes. Never done it myself. It is just easier for me to connect Windows that is running in Parallels to the Domain, especially since I still need to run Windows on my Mac for other reasons (i.e. to run the structural engineering programs that I run).

There are basically lots of things I am looking to learn from the basics to a more advanced level as a support engineer. 

Would anyone be able to direct me in the right direction in order to learn? Video content would be better, i tend to learn better from videos as i can follow them on my end. I am also looking to potentially get industry recognized qualifications in mac if i learn a bit more, does anyone know the best place or the best qualifications to get with this?

For end user type learning, you can start with sites like Macworld. They tend to have a lot of videos showing how to do certain things. Of course, you can always just Google the specific thing that you want to figure out how to do.

If you want more formal training, then the one definite option that I know about is MacTech. They are geared to Mac support/IT people. They hold conferences with training sessions. I don't recall if they do certification classes or not.

http://www.mactech.com/

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:35 PM

What is clear (as iangcarroll noted), is that there are crap ton more viruses/malware out there for Windows. This is largely due to their being WAY more Windows machines out there than Mac OS machines which means the malware writers get much more "bang for their buck" if they target Windows machines.

WRONG. Back in the Apple OS 8 & 9 days there were a LOT less users of those OSes than there are Mac OS X users now. Back then there were true virus being written and affecting OS 8 & 9 but, when Apple switched over to OS X there have been zero virus affecting OS X. True, there are malware like trojans that affect OS X but, they need a user with an Admin password to install them in order for them to affect OS X. 

#5 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:51 PM

Hi all, 

This may or may not help you.

Mac Developer Library

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users