Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tapping into USB

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:53 PM

Good afternoon guys.

I had an old laptop that I took apart and managed to rig inside a custom plexiglass case I made. This is the backside with the best view possible that will hopefully help you guys help me with my idea here. Picture might actually not be needed but nonetheless...

Computer.jpg

What I'm doing is going to mount 3 little fans which are powered off a single usb port but inside the case. I've already done my measurements and assured myself the fans will fit nicely. My only issue is that they are usb powered and I don't want to run the cord to the outside of the case just to plug in. I'm really hoping that I can just take apart the usb plugin and port to solder the wiring together for power, I've just never done anything like this before. I've circled the usb port in red that I'm going to be using if this is possible.

Thanks for any help you guys have to offer.

Hulk_Tag.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 iohann_palm

iohann_palm

• Banned Spammer
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:05 PM

In these cases prefer to connect with the cpu fan, the usb has the 5V limit on cpu fan they will work as needed, just a tip

Stick and keep the original air outlet , the disipador will not work if you are not air outlet at the top of your case, air exits are as important as inputs ;)

#3 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:50 PM

Thanks for the alternative solution.

And actually, I've thought of this before but I just never knew how to do it..

Any help on doing this? How can I add extra fans the way your recommending? Any links?

Hulk_Tag.png

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:30 PM

Hi ... I like the mod it looks very cool. I agree that you do not want to power fans that will poll constant power off the USB header.  I would think you would most likely eventually sooner rather than later burn out the usb connector. 

I might ask.. why add the fans at all.  You already have more ventilation going on than any laptop does.

The only way I would think to get this to work would be sloppy and not portable... get a modular power supply to power your fans that way.  Are there ANY fan headers on the motherboard besides the HSF one?

added: you may be able to get more ideas from someplace like dangerden or frozencpu .. danger den has been around a long long time.

addedmore: you can also go to modthebox and see a list of sites that may have forums to give you better ideas.  Not trying to get you to go somewhere else I am just trying to help.

lastadd: https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+pin+out+wiriring+solution

pin 1 is the +5v dc and pin 4 is the ground.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 24 February 2015 - 08:39 PM.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,760 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:38 PM

Looking at the photo it looks like you are running off the power adapter without the battery, it may not be able to handle much extra current draw.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#6 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:40 PM

Hi ... I like the mod it looks very cool. I agree that you do not want to power fans that will poll constant power off the USB header.  I would think you would most likely eventually sooner rather than later burn out the usb connector. 

I might ask.. why add the fans at all.  You already have more ventilation going on than any laptop does.

The only way I would think to get this to work would be sloppy and not portable... get a modular power supply to power your fans that way.  Are there ANY fan headers on the motherboard besides the HSF one?

added: you may be able to get more ideas from someplace like dangerden or frozencpu .. danger den has been around a long long time.

addedmore: you can also go to modthebox and see a list of sites that may have forums to give you better ideas.  Not trying to get you to go somewhere else I am just trying to help.

lastadd: https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+pin+out+wiriring+solution

pin 1 is the +5v dc and pin 4 is the ground.

Thanks, it's my first project like this so I definitely have some things I wish I would of did different but overall, I'm satisfied.

I want more fans because it does get pretty hot inside the case and I always have laptop cooler pad on it anyway, that's where I got these 3 little fans from: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA15P0KC9677

Your link really helped. That got me thinking that couldn't I just wire the 5v wire from the usb cord to my ac adapter power cord? If you look at my computer picture, you see the red wires?

Looking at the photo it looks like you are running off the power adapter without the battery, it may not be able to handle much extra current draw.

Battery is on the top right of the picture.

Hulk_Tag.png

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:39 PM

Honestly I think I would just epoxy that pad to the bottom of the case and plug in the usb as intended to the back of the mobo.

drill holes for the fans to either draw air out or push it in.  If the usb cord is too long maybe just splice the wire and sleeve it with some shrink or nylon and it will look fine.

#8 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:14 PM

The screen is on the reverse side of that picture and I like the view it has so I don't want that pad covering it all.

I still definitely want the fans on the inside and already have spots for them where I'm going to screw and glue them in. Just need help with powering them from the inside. Do you know if I could splice the 5v usb wire inside the ac power wire from inside? And then for remote, just solder that in the USB?

Hulk_Tag.png

#9 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:23 PM

I know it is theoretically possible ... I just personally wouldn't want to do it that way but I understand your reasoning.  It should work because that is all the USB plug is doing just with a plug on it.. In so many words your asking ... Can i cut the end off the plug on my hair dryer and just stick the wires into the outlet?  Yep.. you can ..and it will work.  I am just not sure if ' I ' would want to do it.. LOL  You would want to use a volt meter to make sure your putting the +5v on the right pinout.  Or your fans will spin the wrong way I think. heh..possibly damage them.

#10 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:30 PM

Sounds good man! I'll have to check a few more things and try it out. Thanks for all your help on this. I'll have to reply to this thread with a picture once it's done. If all goes well, that is. Haha.

Hulk_Tag.png

#11 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:09 PM

Hey guys, I finished this about a couple days after my last post. Just remembering to post it now.

IMG_20150317_195523.jpg

Hulk_Tag.png

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,760 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:19 PM

Thumbs up!  Good to see you got it together.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users