Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System will not start after power flicker

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Speed Demon

Speed Demon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:53 PM

New here, hello all.  

I'll jump right into the issue I'm having.

PC HP Pavillion Slimline Model s5610f

Windows 7

The house power flickered several times causing the PC to shut off and try to restart.

Now I get the blue screen of death when trying to start the PC. 

See attached error screens.  

In the HP Recovery manager I have tried System Restore, does not work.

MS Startup Repair, says cannot repair

I haven't run system recover yet, because I wanted to see if there are any other options before everything is wiped out.

Through the file back up I was able to save a good bit of data, but it would only let me back up to DVD's.  It wouldn't let me back up any files or folders larger than what could be held on a DVD.   Is there a way to write to another hard drive?

Could you guys tell me if I have any other options to fix this PC before performing a system recovery?

Thanks,

Brandon

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:06 PM

Do you have access to another Windows 7 or 8 computer? You can download Aoemi PE builder on the Windows 7 or 8 computer and create a bootable PE disk or USB.  This would let you explore the hard drive and copy any file to a USB external drive. The drive would have to be formatted to NTFS in order to copy a file larger than 4GB. Did System Restore fail or you did a System Restore and it completed but did not solve the problem.

Desktop.png

#3 Speed Demon

Speed Demon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:34 PM

I do have a laptop with Windows 7.    I just downloaded and installed  Aoemi PE Builder.  I'll see if I can figure out how to use it.  

System restore did not work,  says system cannot be repaired automatically. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:16 PM

The PE disk is very easy to use. Double click Computer on the desktop and you will see your hard drives. Attach the USB flash or external drive before you double click computer. You can copy any dmp files in C:\Windows\Minidump to your external drive and on your other computer open them with bluescreenview. This should tell you what file or driver is causing the bluescreen..

Edit: It may be that the CMOS battery is causing this problem but I am not sure if this would be the problem because of the electrical issue. When you get a chance remove the power cord, open the computer and touch bare metal of the case. Remove the CMOS battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the battery with a new one and see if that helps. See this blog. A poster on another thread also fixed the issue with a new battery. You should reset the BIOS back to default after replacing the battery.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 February 2015 - 09:36 PM.

#5 Speed Demon

Speed Demon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:40 PM

The PE disk is very easy to use. Double click Computer on the desktop and you will see your hard drives. Attach the USB flash or external drive before you double click computer. You can copy any dmp files in C:\Windows\Minidump to your external drive and on your other computer open them with bluescreenview. This should tell you what file or driver is causing the bluescreen..

Edit: It may be that the CMOS battery is causing this problem but I am not sure if this would be the problem because of the electrical issue. When you get a chance remove the power cord, open the computer and touch bare metal of the case. Remove the CMOS battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the battery with a new one and see if that helps. See this blog. A poster on another thread also fixed the issue with a new battery. You should reset the BIOS back to default after replacing the battery.

Great thanks,  I'll give those things a try and let you know how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users