Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black screen- insert boot media and press any key

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bizemom365

bizemom365

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:42 PM

my dell xps desktop, running windows 8 has a black screen and is saying to "reboot and select proper boot device...or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key". I have run diagnotic and it says there are not problems. Checked the sata and driver is there. Please help' 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dsouth09

dsouth09

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:16 AM

This could be a sign of a bad hard drive or the computer may be trying to boot to a non-bootable device. Check your computer and remove any discs or flash drives that may be present and try again. You can also change the boot order in your BIOS to boot to the hard drive first instead of other devices.

#3 bizemom365

bizemom365
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:51 PM

i checked it again

SataA0:Port 0 ST2000DM001-1CH164

SATA a1 pORT 5 TSSTcorp dvd+/-RW SH-216BB ATAPI

SATAA2 PORT 2 NOT PRESENT

SATAA3 PORT 3 NOT PRESENT

SATAA1 PORT 1 NOT PRESENT

#4 rtccmichael

rtccmichael

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:43 PM

Do you have a Windows 8 repair disc? You should try booting into a repair to see if it even recognizes your operating system. It sounds like it could be a hard drive issue (either physical meaning the drive is failing, or just some corruption)

#5 bizemom365

bizemom365
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:39 PM

i think I do is it the driver disk?

#6 rtccmichael

rtccmichael

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:43 PM

There are often two disks; a driver disk and an OS reinstall disk. You need the OS reinstall disk. However, you are NOT going through with the reinstall, but you want to boot off that disk and run the repair instead of the reinstall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users