Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

difference between opitcal drives via sata instead of the ribbon cable.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hello_from_ny

Hello_from_ny

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:22 PM

The last time I build a PC it has this ribbon cable for optical drives.

With the data blubray/ dvdrw drives, how do I install them? Just any sata port? Are their any jumpers to set? How about dual sata drives?

Just plug them away and you're set to go?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:28 PM

With newer SATA drives you shouldn't have to set any jumpers.  Just plug them in and go.  This should be the same for dual SATA drives.  They should each have thieir own cable .. I have not seen a dual SATA drive.  I would have to check the manual.  You CAN install them into any sata port but I suggest not plugging them into an SATA port meant for setting RAID configurations.

#3 Hello_from_ny

Hello_from_ny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

So sata dvd/bluray drives are just like installing reg HDDs.

When I said dual sata DVD/bluray drives I meant like adding two blue ray drives that bare both sata enabled.

But thank you.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:34 PM

Yes they are just like installing hard drives but with much more bandwidth to work with than the old ribbon cable.  And I understand now your clarification on multiple drives.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:57 AM

Welcome to the advancements in technology.  SATA is both a speed and ease of use improvement over IDE (PATA).  There are no jumpers to set.  The only concern you might have is if your machine has different speed SATA ports or if you have a RAID controller that you are using for RAID.  Other than that just connect both ends of the cables and you're good to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users