Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant create new folder

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 btka

btka

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:11 PM

Hi Guys got an irratating problem that I cant seem to solve. If I try and create a New folder my Picture Folder I get this. I have been fiddling with settings and permissions for hours no luck.

I have Win 7 pro x64 sp1

Please can anyone help thank you

szjexzO.jpg

Edited by hamluis, 24 February 2015 - 05:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:31 PM

I have the same OS and I have just created a folder in my 'Pictures' folder and saved a photo into it without any problem. I opened a photo in my image viewer (Irfanview), clicked 'File - Save as', selected 'Pictures' in the dialogue box then clicked the 'New folder' button, called the new folder 'Temp', opened it and saved the photo into it. Then as a check went into Windows Explorer, found the photo in that location and opened it - all without any problems.

I know this doesn't help you in any way but how are you trying to create this new folder ?.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 btka

btka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:29 PM

Hi Chris if I right click in picture folder, or the new folder button on the top left or save as create new folder I get the same result, I don't have permission.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:40 PM

Right-click the My Picture folder (or whichever Picture folder you are using) and select Properties. Click the Security tab, and make sure your user account is listed. If it isn't, click edit and add it. If it is, select your user account and check the permissions in the bottom pane. You will need at least the Modify and/or Write permissions, but you might as well give yourself Full Control.

Note you can't do this from the Pictures library. You will have to find the folder or folders that library maps to, and do this from there.

#5 btka

btka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:52 PM

Thanks but at the risk of sounding like a noob but what do you mean by user account and exactly where should it say it. As for permissions I have set all to full control as far as I can tell and its made no difference.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:07 PM

This should help. In this case, the user account would be yours.

http://www.wikihow.com/Change-File-Permissions-on-Windows-7

You may also want to try and take full ownership of the folder. You'll right click the folder, select Properties, go to the Security tab, and click Advanced at the bottom. Then click the Owner tab, and add yourself if you aren't already the owner, by clicking Edit. Also make sure the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects box is checked. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/windows-7-ownership-of-foldersfiles-and-how-to/525fa4a2-63d1-4c23-8459-cc56c785fdea

#7 btka

btka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:15 PM

Yip already done all that and no potato

Ln7omUs.jpg

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:22 PM

Hmm. Were you ever able to add folders before?

You can try creating it from the command line. Open a command prompt by typing cmd in the Search bar of the start menu. Right-click the command window option, and select Run as administrator.

Then, type in mkdir C:\Users\MrBreeze\Pictures\nameofnewfolder

#9 btka

btka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:26 PM

Yes I was able to before and I can create new folders everywhere else just not in that folder.

Bit of a mystery innit :smash:

#10 btka

btka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:30 PM

Command line works but that does not solve the mystery :scratchhead:

#11 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:32 PM

Well, that's partial good news.

You can try going back to a restore point when you were able to create new folders there, and see if that resolves it. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore

Or, open another command prompt and enter sfc /scannow

If it reports it found files it couldn't repair, post back.

#12 btka

btka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:37 PM

No Sytem restore not an option this has been going on for awhile, System restore will make too many changes to my system. I'm doing the scan.

#13 btka

btka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:45 PM

5cvWDOc.jpg

#14 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:48 PM

Nothing wrong with your system files.

And this only happens with the Pictures folder? If so, try moving everything out of the Pictures folder, delete that folder, and create a new one.

#15 btka

btka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:57 PM

I will try that in the morning off to bed now.

Thanks guys :thumbsup2: :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users