Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Assistance with setting up USB Router Printing - Linksys N900

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:04 PM

Just purchased a new Linksys N900 (EA4500) dual band wireless router & there are no Linux instructions on setting up a wired router via USB port (Windows & Mac only). Printer is a Kodak 3250 AIO model with only USB connection, no wireless nor Ethernet, these type I can setup. Google searches has produced little, if any, results to assist. 

Have already done so on a couple of Windows installs (7 & 8) using these instructions. 

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?vw=1&articleid=25757

I did actually try and connect the printer through the configuration, but don't want to change a bunch of settings that I know nothing of. Anyone who may know how to accomplish this, I'd greatly appreciate the assistance. 

All of my Linux installs that will be connected to the printer are Linux MInt 17.1 MATE (3) & Linux MInt 17 KDE (1) and possibly later one Ubuntu 12.04 notebook, but the latter two can be later. My main priority at this the time is my main MATE installs. 

Am hoping that printing through network will be better than direct through computer, the latest 64 bit drivers for Kodak printers has been no good. 

Any suggestions will be appreciated.  :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 24 February 2015 - 04:05 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:41 AM

Bump......... :)

Wow, not only can I not get my Linux OS's printing by that USB port on the router, now one of my Windows 7 installs won't. It was suggested that changing some things in the ESET Firewall would allow access, but no go. I'm not going to disable the Firewall, already have two Windows OS's setup to print. Though it's through a 3rd party software that has to be launched first. 

My thoughts that this is what these Samba updates are for, yet if they are, still don't know how to use these. 

If I continue to have issues with other Windows OS's not printing (the ones that works, both OS's are on the same PC), may need to see if this is more of a Networking issue. 

There was one thing that gave me some hope, though still don't know what to do. A Linux configuration was shown, actually two, as follows:

CAT-XPS-8700

LINUX

IP Address (LAN)-1: 192.168.1.127

MAC Address: C4:85:08:40:98:27

IP Address: (LAN)-2: 198.168.1.103

MAC Address: B8:CA:3A:97:33:8F

These could have been generated while I was trying to configure, and I recall refreshing, so maybe that's why there are two Linux entries. 

Here a Windows one, the one that wouldn't go. 

Capture%20Kodak%20Network%20Printer-%207

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,915 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:52 AM

No idea Cat, I have been watching this thread, and looking for solutions that might help.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:37 AM

I might have to get this moved to Networking since it involves two brands of OS's, especially if I have issues with another Windows install. On the two I've installed it to with success, has ran fine. I'm going to try with a different computer today, need to spread it out to at least one working install per computer. 

Am very hopeful that being able to print from the router, some of the issues that persists with printing from the OS will go away. There's CUPS, Samba, and these gets updates 2-3 times per week, and with all of those updates, I'd like to think that network printing won't be like that of the OS, which for 64 bit Linux Mint with my printer has gone to the dogs. 

Funny that the old ESP .deb files from 2010/11 makes the printer run good on Ubuntu 12.04 on my 11 year old notebook (wired), good thing I saved those installers. I'm a pack rat & proud of it, refusing to throw away anything that may be useful at some point. 

There is Linksys support for my Windows installs, but they only support that brand & Mac only. Not even Android. I may have to see if there are any posts of significance on the Linksys forum, haven't been there, but being the leader of consumer routers in the world, know they have one. Surely Linux printing has came up in all of these years. If by chance I do find a solution outside of here, will post it for our membership to see. 

BTW, this is my first ever dual band router, have wanted one for a few months now. Even though there only a small increase of speed on the SpeedTest.net site, it's noticeable on my computers, pages loads a lot faster. Maybe because the router has a better processor inside, it's still a 'N' model, but the highest powered one before the 'AC' lineup, which wouldn't benefit me with a 15Mbps ISP plan. Many purchases these routers at a huge price & only has like a 30Mbps plan, what a waste of cash. Mine was $120, the next one up was an 'AC' at $199. The only thing that I seen that would benefit me there, is if I had a network attached storage to the USB 3.0 port. I have backup devices, and USB 2.0 is plenty good for printing, which was the only thing I wanted the port for. 

Anyway, will see if I can configure (wirelessly) a OS that will work with the printer, The two that are working are connected by Ethernet. 

Cat

#5 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:50 AM

Cat, I have a dual band wireless cisco e2500 that's about 4 yrs old or so, not quite sure, and I have my old desktop wired to it, and it's worked with every distro I've had.  I do know some models of printers don't support linux, as my Cannon MX870, where other Cannon ones do.  That would not explain windows not working tho.  Could it be a bad router?  I'm not sure if this will help or not.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:26 AM

heyyou325, no it's not the router, fortunately. :thumbup2:

Just installed the USB printing app on both the Windows 7 & 8.1 Pro installs on another computer today (the Toshiba), and this one went smoother than the first set did. Am thinking that on the Windows installs, it may be the varying brands of security, love to mix & match so that I don't get caught off guard, loyalty to one solution can prove to be fatal. 

Printing from network has proven so far to be very high quality, never realized that the OS degraded print quality the way it obviously did on those OS's, especially B&W, was very dark, wide print & going though carts like mad. The WalMart associate had trouble scanning the 'site to store' bar code receipt for the printer. I have the Windows Printer Test Pages, it never printed this great even when using OEM inks. Pictures did very well, but that was controlling prints from the LCD interface, and not processing through the OS. I'm beginning to wonder if it's the OS's that are the root of many's printing issues (output quality), especially considering the clarity of these test pages using generic inks. Seriously, if I were installing this on another's system & didn't know anything about the printer, I'd have thought it was a model that was just removed from the box & using pricey inks. 

Evidently, that earlier Windows 7 OS I had earlier discussed that the install wouldn't take has some Firewall setting to look through & sort out. So far, this is four Windows OS's that it's working on, so I'm not inclined at this point to think it a router issue. 

Maybe a network one on my Linux installs, as there are no .deb installers for this USB Printing App. Would be great if there were conversion software for these things (.exe to .deb & the other way around), however I suspect for security purposes, that's not going to happen. It may not even be practical. Though I do know, if one has the right ingredients, though it's painstaking (one reason why we see so few), a .deb file can be created for much anything. The other reason would be that since much Linux software if free, there is no incentive to have a .deb installer for everything, as just noted, creating one takes many hours, and one has to have the components in perfect order (as with an .exe file) to work. 

This is yet another OEM example of ignoring (or shafting) Linux users. I can go into the 'Smart-Wi-Fi' portal to make or change settings, but they won't make drivers to fully support all of the device's functions (mainly that USB port). It's not like Macbooks are selling like hotcakes any longer, and their PC sales has been slumping for years (the reason why 'Computer' was removed from the corporation name). It's now just Apple & they're making their fortunes today on devices, not computers, if the phones were removed from their portal, the corporation would sink. Likewise, if Microsoft were to remove computer OS's & Office from theirs & just carry a line of phones, the same would happen, probably quicker. 

The cool thing about Linux is that it supports both computers & phones. Android is a threat to Apple, and part of the proof is their lowering of pricing, something that Steve Jobs would never have submitted to, he once vowed to risk every cent the corporation was worth to fight a competitor's device that's for the most part, running Android. Though his position (the fight) wasn't over the OS being used. 

The other thing about Linux has to do with the above, it's market share is indeed over 2%, much of that 'Other' are Linux powered devices, and while the stat counters has included mobile phones in Apple's count, they've left Android out of the Linux one. Making it to appear as though Linux users are few & far between, yet chances are, many of us knows someone with a Android powered phone. Mozilla has also announced & may have by now released their phone in emerging markets (not a correct term, as the global economy is constantly 'emerging', how is it limited to a few nations?), and there's talk of a Ubuntu Phone. 

And over 20% of of the clients running on Microsoft's Azure are Linux OS's. This alone leads me to believe that Linux usage is higher than stat counters figures, otherwise Microsoft wouldn't be 'embracing' Linux, whereas it's past CEO termed the platform a 'cancer' for years. Ballmer may have accurately described it in terms of how Linux is affecting Windows usage, it's 'lead' is slowly being eaten away. Otherwise, why would they have abandoned how they distributed licenses for their OS's & Office? Any OS with 'Pro' was $299, any Office with Ultimate or Pro Plus was more, Office 2010 Pro Plus was once $499. That was a lucrative licensing scheme & very profitable. To this day, Genuine Full versions of XP Pro & Windows 7 Pro are still $299, and yes, MS is getting a slice of the profit. Even though XP support is very limited, they still take their cut. Users who gets burned by counterfeit software can still purchase a 'Get Genuine' pack, even for XP, direct from MS. 

My whole point being, that device OEM cannot continue to ignore success, and the Linux brand is growing, to the point that more than ever are aware of the brand. Just a few years back, one could mention Linux to the average person & they'd say 'what's that?' or 'huh?'. Now many know of it, if only to say, 'I'd never run that crap', what tickled me was that exactly such a person was using my Linux Mint computer, on the Google Chrome browser & running seamlessly while making those comments. When she finished, I asked her to close the page & check out the wallpaper, since she didn't notice the panel. When she seen the Mint Gloria raindrop wallpaper & the 'LM' symbol on the page, asked me what was that. I told here 'what you said you'd never run on your computer & was crap'. Less than a week later, she was asking me to show it to a friend that lost her MS recovery DVD set & she was impressed, enough to let me install it that day. 

Many more has make the Linux switch since XP has gone under. 

So what's the point in OEM's selling hardware, knowing that some percentage of the consumers will be running Linux on it, and then not supporting the hardware with device drivers & software for the full experience? There is some half-baked support by Intel, AMD & nVIDIA, but only for core functions (the same with my router). Why not fully support the devices for all OS's? They have engineers who may at best, perform 4 hours per day of honest work, why not spend the rest in the creation of software for OS's other than Windows & Mac? 

Because the day will surely arrive, that it won't be just a Windows vs Mac arena anymore, and both brands knows this. 

Hopefully there will be more published workarounds for my issue. I've looked & looked & can find nothing, yet all of these CUPS/Samba updates keeps pouring in. At the rate that they're installing, as soon as I do find a solution, am hoping to have print quality as good as with the ones successfully setup, or even better, just bypass the OS altogether. That may be the best solution for printing, is moving these off the OS where possible. I would have went with a wireless print server and lower cost router, but many are not well rated & none that I checked out supports Kodak printers. Looks like the USB router option is the best one, if the printer isn't a native wireless one. 

I have no doubt that I'll get there, it's a matter of when. 

Cat

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:55 AM

Is there any way that the ufw Firewall that loads at every boot is what's preventing access to the router's printing functions? From what I've read, Linux uses Samba for networked printing. And for that to happen, wouldn't some inbound traffic be needed, going against the rules I've copied/pasted below (Terminal output)?

The reason I asked, is that it has dawned on me, that from the first Windows install of the printer through the router, had to allow Windows Firewall access. Others, I had to switch the 3rd party Firewall to interactive or learning mode, as the manual configuration is a bit complicated to me, though I give Online Armor Firewall (Emsisoft) credit for allowing the access w/o further intervention, once I gave Windows Firewall access. 

And us experienced Linux users knows the rules of the ufw Firewall, once active. No inbound access allowed. 

cat@cat-XPS-8700 ~ $ sudo ufw status verbose
[sudo] password for cat: 
Logging: on (low)
Default: deny (incoming), allow (outgoing), disabled (routed)
New profiles: skip
cat@cat-XPS-8700 ~ $ 

From what I've determined, it looks like some modification to the Firewall has to be made to allow the back & forth communication between Samba & the networked printer. Even though the router & printer is doing most of the work, it has to be able to communicate with whatever components needed to complete the job. 

I further suspect this would be the same for a guest who comes over whom has a Linux distro with ufw enabled. However at the moment, am not concerned about guests, just saying they'd be stonewalled also for the same reasons I am at the moment. Was tempted to disable ufw on my one older notebook to try a print job, but still have no idea of how to configure Samba for this task. This is likely going to boil down to a very narrow issue, but getting to that issue is the hurdle to clear. 

So wouldn't a similar Firewall rule apply to Linux wireless, or Ethernet Network printing? If so, where do I go next? 

Cat

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:26 AM

It would be easy enough to rule the firewall out by disabling it:

sudo ufw disable
If it still doesn't work with the firewall disabled, at least you would know the firewall isn't the problem.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:27 AM

While that may be part of the issue, there's another part......that of configuring Samba. 

Or is it self-configuring? With all of the updated related to it, I'd like to think so. 

Cat

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:36 AM

Sorry Cat, haven't a clue. I have my printer set up the "old fashioned" way, i.e. it just plugs into one computer.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:59 AM

Have disabled the ufw Firewall, since the router has a strong inbuilt one, ufw may not be needed, or can be configured another way, to allow needed ports opened. 

This time, though had no success printing, was able to at least see it. It went through the motions of printing a test page, though there was no output of the printer. Maybe it'll be a good idea to uninstall the printer & reinstall, getting rid of the old drivers, as these were virtually useless from the go. Printed pages were a half-hearted effort of the OS, at best, and much of the output was garbled. It has been this way since I've went to 64 bit LInux Mint. 

Back when running the 32 bit versions, there were 'esp' .deb files to install printer drivers, and though these still weren't as good as those on Windows 7/XP, the print jobs were of decent quality. May need to install that driver on my one final 32 bit notebook running Ubuntu 12.04, along with XP Pro.

However if all woks right, I won't be printing from the router or from the Web, which is far better than re-processing all of this data & creating a local print job, which was always bad if the printer was connected directly to the PC or other computer. When I printed some Test pages with Windows 7, 8 & 8.1, they looked like that of a new printer & no one would suspect these B&W XL sized inks are $7 for the set of two.  

I'll continue to research & play until this thing gets right. Giving up isn't in my vocabulary.

Cat                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:19 AM

This time, though had no success printing, was able to at least see it. It went through the motions of printing a test page, though there was no output of the printer.

Once you get it up and running, it should be possible to set ufw to allow communication with the printer.

Maybe it'll be a good idea to uninstall the printer & reinstall, getting rid of the old drivers, as these were virtually useless from the go.

Personally I would try to get the printer working first by plugging it into the computer, as it would surely use the same drivers for printing over the network as it would if the printer was plugged in.

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:30 AM

Personally I would try to get the printer working first by plugging it into the computer, as it would surely use the same drivers for printing over the network as it would if the printer was plugged in. 

That's what I'll probably do again, it was looking like the printer was going to install, had selected the driver & all, again went through the test page motion, am getting a 'broken pipe' error (same as when the printer was installed to the PC) & some error about 'bi-di' (bidirectional I take it?). I don't get it, both Samba & CUPS are installed & am continuing to get updates for each, how can something that hasn't been used be broken? 

I'll know for certain the next time I purchase a printer, to get a native wireless one. The reason why I didn't on this one, a promo email was sent to me be Kodak promoting this model for $69 ($30 off). The very next week, one came in for a wireless model, the next one up from it, for $99. Though I still like this printer because of the low cost, high quality inks available. Can get a XL Color & B&W on promo for $10 or so. Just got 2 B&W XL's for $6.99 shipped. So I'll deal with the short term hassle of getting this thing to working, 

Wonder why the Mac driver won't work on Linux, being that Mac is a fork of Unix, and so is Linux? Am getting tempted to 7zip that Mac driver open to see what's inside, have had lots of success with this on Windows drivers. Like they may say it'll only work with Vista, and I've got many to work with Windows 7, 8 & 8.1 by removing the OEM wrapper. Have another, older printer (Dell 720 Photo Printer) that will work on every Windows OS since Windows 2000. Unfortunately, inks are high in cost & don't last long, which is why I purchased the Kodak. And it wouldn't work with Linux at the time, even the 32 bit versions, the final issue that caused me to purchase the Kodak. 

It was unfortunate that Kodak went out of their consumer products division, however much of the blame is to be placed on their shoulders. They thought that US consumers would be loyal to the brand over Fuji, a mistake that would later prove to be fatal. Since then, they've continued to sell Kodak inks, but not further support any of their products sold, and likely any warranties have ran out by now. 

Along with that, also went further development for Linux drivers for Kodak printers, although there are an abundance of these in use. These printers are sturdy, were sold at a higher cost, but at a savings on ink, which figures into the bottom line cost, or return on investment (ROI). Still works fine for me, just a step away from getting it to work on Linux Mint 17.1. 

The answer is out there, probably laying under my nose & don't see it at the moment. 

Cat

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:57 PM

Any ideas here yet? :)

I'm holding out hope that the answer can be found here, maybe something in the Package Manager that I've overlooked. It's a 3rd party software (USB Control Center) that allows me to print from Windows, and there's also a Mac solution, so somehow or the other, there should be a Linux one. Just have yet to find it. 

I haven't bothered with posting on the Linksys forum yet, though may end up doing so. The last place I want to go is the Linux Mint forum, where all of the 'know it alls' loads up with different solutions, as a result, have to do a lot of backtracking in undoing any solutions that doesn't work. 

I'll likely take another TimeShift snapshot prior to doing anything, to have a Restore Point to undo changes. 

Am not desperate, however it would be nice to be able to print on Linux from network. 

Cat

#15 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:05 AM

What driver(s) have you tried so far, and did you download and install them from the repositories?

There's a driver called printer-driver-c2esp (which for some reason is already installed in LXLE), which looks like it's for your printer.

kodakprintdriver_zpslodqwc1x.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users