Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beta testing for PT job; how to safeguard my computer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:53 PM

Hi, I'm going to be testing beta stage software on my personal computer.  It makes me nervous, because this is my only computer (my husband has his own, so it's not the household's only one).  I have my most important files & pics on Dropbox but haven't made a system image yet. 

I wouldn't do this otherwise, but I'm having a really rough time finding work at all.  It's only for a few hours a week, but that should take care of ... I dunno, feeding our cat, I guess.  This is the company: amaanalytics

What's your advice?  I'm fairly decent at basic computer maintenance.  Should I get a second hard drive? Should/can I use Sandboxie?  (I have it, but have yet to figure out how to use it properly)

Thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Computer Details:
    Manufacturer    Compaq-Presario       
    Model    NY540AA-ABA CQ5210F       
    Total amount of system memory    3.00 GB RAM       
    System type    64-bit operating system       
    Number of processor cores    2    

Storage            
    Total size of hard disk(s)    466 GB       
    Disk partition (C:)    157 GB Free (455 GB Total)       
    Disk partition (D:)    2 GB Free (11 GB Total)       
    Media drive (E:)    CD/DVD    

Edited by hamluis, 24 February 2015 - 08:34 PM.
Moved from Business Apps to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 7, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:31 PM

I'm pretty sure it's OK to be providing these details, but please let me know if I'm breaching some sort of privacy etiquette!

I just tried installing the test program to see if my computer is OK for their purposes & got this message:

Avast File System Shield has blocked a threat.  No further action is required. 

Object: C:\PROGRA~2\WPS/tunnel.exe

Infection: FileRepSnxclass

Action: Moved to chest

Process: C:\PROGRA~2\WPS/tunnel.exe

The threat was detected and blocked just before the file was executed.

I downloaded it into the Sandbox directory, but i don't think that did anything.

Edited by pantherapardus4, 24 February 2015 - 04:32 PM.

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 7, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:59 PM

Hello there,

If you are doing beta testing, then I recommend that you perform the tests on a Virtual Machine - which is a specialized isolated environment that you can work to your heart's contents.

The most popular Virtual Machine platform is Oracle VirtualBox.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Alex

#4 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:02 AM

That looks great!  Thanks for the advice and for the link, Alex.  :)

Edited by pantherapardus4, 25 February 2015 - 12:04 AM.

#5 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:57 PM

Argh, I'm having a terrible time making my virtual machine!  I'm checking in the Oracle forums too, but in case anyone can answer easily here: I'm supposed to install my operating system, either from a CD or DVD, or from an ISO image file (don't know exactly what that is).  I do have a Windows disk, but I don't know how many times the authorization code was used.  Can't I just use the host system?  Or am I basically making a totally new computer inside of my actual computer, so I need a new copy of Windows?  thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users