Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hp laptop permits me to type 2 letters only

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Joann37

Joann37

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:52 PM

hi

yesterday my hp pavilion laptop was fine. Tried to log on this morning and the letters I type do

not appear on the screen. Finally figured out how to place a keyboard on the desk top and I could

then log on with my password but cannot type anything in google to start investigating the problem.

I understand that certain key strokes can lock up the keyboard or change it to another language..such as canadian.

I cannot use my computer at all...

what to do besides take it to best buy and give them about $250 for something I could do if I knew how...

please for some help?  thank yu.  JoAnn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:22 AM

Click you way to System Restore via Accessories > System Tools

Restore your computer to a time before the problem started.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:50 PM

My fellow Scot might have been more explicit !

Doing a system restore may well solve your problem and can do no harm if it doesn't. Two ways to get there - click 'Start - All programs - Accessories - System tools - system restore' OR click 'Start - Control panel - Recovery - Start system restore'.

Clicking assumes your mouse is still working. If it isn't you can try using the 'Tab' key. As you press it, it moves around your desktop one spot per tap. You know it has selected some point because it has a sort of fuzzy ring round it. When you get to the place you want, press 'Enter'.

When you get to the restore screen you will see one or two restore points listed. Select one that precedes the start of your problem. If you don't see one early enough there is a button below the main window 'More restore points'. Once you have selected one then click 'Start restore'. You will get a couple of warnings, just accept them and let the system do what it does. It may re-boot automatically when it is finished, if doesn't, re-boot anyway and hopefully your problem will be resolved. If it isn't, post back.

Two small points. First of all - welcome to BC !

Second, what is this foreign language - Canadian ?  I always thought that the vast majority of the citizens of both Arizona and Canada spoke English !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:09 PM

Tap ctrl twice see if that works. If it does this might be a bios setting with the F keys set to do FN+ keys instead of standard F key functions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users