Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows? NO, Linux and Mac OS X Most Vulnerable Operating System In 2014

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:22 PM

Apple’s operating system is considered to be the most secure operating system whether it’s Mac OS X for desktop computers or iOS for iPhones. But believe it or not, they are the most vulnerable operating system of year 2014.

MOST VULNERABLE OPERATING SYSTEM 
Windows, which is often referred to as the most vulnerable operating system in the world and also an easy pie for hackers, is not even listed on the top three vulnerable OS. According to an analysis by the network and security solutions provider GFI, the top three most vulnerable operating system are:
  • Apple’s Mac OS X
  • Apple iOS
  • Linux kernel
GFI analysis is based on the data from the US National Vulnerability Database (NVD), which shows that in 2014, the top three most vulnerable operating systems took owner by the following number of vulnerabilities reported in their software:
  • Mac OS X - Total 147 vulnerabilities were reported, 64 of which were rated as high-severity
  • Apple’s iOS - Total 127 vulnerabilities were reported, 32 of which were rated as highly-severity
  • Linux Kernel - Total 119 vulnerabilities were reported, 24 of which were rated as high-severity.

MAJOR VULNERABILITIES REPORTED IN 2014
The major vulnerabilities that took over the Internet in 2014 were as follows:
  • HEARTBLEED - A critical security vulnerability detected in OpenSSL left large number of cryptographic keys and private data from the most important sites and services on the Internet open to hackers. It was considered to be one of the biggest Internet threat in the history.
  • SHELLSHOCK - A critical remotely exploitable vulnerability discovered in the widely used Linux and Unix command-line shell, known as Bash, aka the GNU Bourne Again Shell, left countless websites, servers, PCs, OS X Macs, various home routers, and many more open to the cyber criminals.

Windows? NO, Linux and Mac OS X Most Vulnerable Operating System In 2014

Yes right a few bug's and it's the most vulnerable, I wonder how much that fairy tale cost Microsoft?  Anybody who thinks Windows is more secure just needs to go here Security

Edited by NickAu, 24 February 2015 - 02:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:38 PM

Hi,

it's been a tough year for Linux and not just the kernel, but also some of the core applications such as openssl and bash. This includes a number of "bugs" that allowed admin access from remote, which is about the worst case scenario. In particular the last 3-4 months it seems as if there was a new serious exploit for the kernel every other week.

Most vulnerable doesn't automatically mean most exploited. Security by obscurity is still a thing. :wink: There is very very little malware nowadays that actually uses new or current vulnerabilities to exploit a system. Social engineering and 2-3 year old bugs are sufficient. Unfortunately.

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:41 AM

Linux kernal in and of itself, its just the kernal, how secure linux is is based on the person who takes it and develops it. There are many many Linux variants that make Mac look like childs play when it comes to security, however, whats giving linux a bad name security wise, in reality isn't the kernal itself, its android. Don't get me wrong, I love android, use an android based phone myself, but theres 2 things against it-one they had to make it user friendly, which makes it slightly less secure, and two, its popular, the more popular an OS the more hackers want to exploit it, and any OS including mac and linux, is going to have vulnerabilities. How many are brought to light is often directly influenced by how popular that particular OS is. 

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users