Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processes Lagging At Startup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ArsenalFX

ArsenalFX

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 02:36 PM

Before I go any further let me say I am some what meticulous about maintaining my system. Scans, reg cleaners, defrag, spyware removers... Hell, I leave my case off so I can tinker. Downloads go into specific folders so I can recall/delete without hunting.

Lately when my system boots the processes are taking forever. CPU usage pegs. I have researched all the processes and they all seem legit (with the exception that SVCHost.exe is either legit or possibly one of several trojans!! - Thanks MS). I first noticed this when I went to clik on a quick launch icon and the cursor changed to an hour glass. It can take up to 2 minutes for the system to allow the quick launch icons to be used.

For those of you preaching Startup Inspector.... I only have SiSUSBRG, ccApp, vptray, Windows defender and a Quick Time task in startup.

Any Ideas????
There are 10 types of people in the world...
Those that understand Binary and those that don't!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:56 PM

Hi there ArsenalFX,

Firstly, please read the selfhelp instructions which can be found here. Please use those instructions as a guide to speed up your computer. You will follow a number of steps to clear the clutter from your PC, and also quicken your startup time etc...

Secondly, I would imagine that the svchost.exe's that startup when your computer starts are legitimate - 99.99% of the time they are. You can assure yourself bu searching for svchost.exe using the windows search feature - the legitimate svchost.exe is found in C:\Windows\System32 folder - you may also find a legitimate version of the file in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. You might also like to run a full system scan with Noron Anti-virus. When did these problems occur? Have you tried to use system restore to a date earlier than when the problems arose? If this does not solve your problem, please post back and we can go from there.

David

#3 ArsenalFX

ArsenalFX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:32 PM

I have searched for the svchost files (even turn on the search hidden files and within other files option). There are only two copies and they were in the proper directories. I have researched all the files and they all appear legit.

-I have adjusted the page file (virtual memory).
-Replace damn near all of the files with copies from systems that don't have the problem (4 others in the house) one at a time. Even modified the process start properties and played with different processes starting at boot.
-Removed all of the start up files and added them back one at a time
-Disabled Active protect in Symantec AV
-Wiped the drive and reloaded XP Pro with all the svc packs and loaded all software one at a time rebooting inbetween boots.
-Run muliple spyware programs

Reloading OS and all software works for about six - seven months. Then BAM... The lag continues. I can load the programs in the quick launch area from desktop icons but they start slowly - until all processes have finished loading. I cannot access the quick launch area as the cursor is an hourglass.

This is painful, but not a show stopper. After the two minutes everything runs fine and at good benchmark speeds.
There are 10 types of people in the world...
Those that understand Binary and those that don't!

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:34 AM

Well you have covered my next pointer - Norton,
My recommendation would be to remove Norton completely from your computer, then reboot the computer and see if there is any change. If it improves then you know Norton is the problem; if there is no change then you can reinstall Norton. I know this is a slightly extreme method, but I think you have tried quite a number of methods with no luck.
However, the fact that you have reformated the OS and the lag continues suggests to me that you may have a hardware problem rather than a software problem. I don't know what sort of problem you may have, but perhaps a faulty hard-drive or RAM making them not function at their best abilities. Can you also post me your system specs, eg RAM, processor speed etc; also let me know how much space is left on your hard-drive, and we'll go from there.

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users