Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8 laptop (Dell) is dead?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:42 PM

Went to wake up my Dell laptop at home (the one that had to have a new motherboard when brand new) this morning.  Screen looked normal, but couldn't start any programs (got only the little circling worm).  Ctrl-Alt-Del did nothing.  Finally decided to cold boot, pushed the power button, screen instantly went black and has remained so thereafter.  Lights on the front of the box look as if it appears to be running (including some hard disk activity) but absolutely nothing on the screen.  I've unplugged and replugged the power cord, no result.  Did not yet try pulling the battery.  Could it be that the monitor is dead?  Question arising: I have a brand new Samsung monitor, still in the box, with an HDMI connector.  The laptop has an HDMI port.  Would it make sense to connect that monitor and see if the computer would then work?  Or are there other things to try first?

This is a very inconvenient time for this, I'm in the middle of some complicated E-mail dialogues and have no backup of that material (all things that  have happened in the last 3 days . . .).  OK, I can reconstruct it all, but this is a very inconvenient time to lose E-mail connectivity and I have no other E-mail connection - except my smartphone . . . which I have so far kept out of the E-mail loop as I have no wish to have to deal with E-mail every 5 minutes.  I can improvise, of course, but really I'd like to get my computer back without having to send it in to Dell yet again.

Machine is a Dell laptop, i7 processor, 1 TB hard disk, 12 GB RAM, bought October 2013, so still under warranty.  The motherboard failed almost immediately and I had to send it back to Dell for a new motherboard.  That saga was reported in this forum, I believe.  My later, less than stellar experience with Dell support was also reported in one of the BC forums, I think in General Security?

This computer has not been lugged around or physically abused.  In fact it has sat in the same spot on my desktop for a good many months now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

Can you get to the Dell diagnostics by tapping F12 at boot?

If not, see if the following can get you to the troubleshooting page. Turn off the computer then press the shift and power on key.

If that does not work try the following method to force the screen to appear. This may or may not work for you. When Windows 8 shuts down it is a kind of hybrid shutdown in order to boot quickly the next time you power on.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:54 PM

Well, the simplest of these things did the trick.  Held the Power button for more than 5 seconds, then hit it again. The computer booted up normally, just very very slowly (took 2 or 3 minutes to get through the login password to my normal desktop screen).  I suppose that is normal after a complete shutdown.  This computer is normally on most of the time, only occasionally actually shut down.

I suppose there may be steps I ought to take to make sure there is nothing weird lurking in the system somewhere?

Anyway, thanks very much indeed for the magic fix!

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:03 PM

Hello there,

Well, the simplest of these things did the trick.  Held the Power button for more than 5 seconds, then hit it again. The computer booted up normally, just very very slowly (took 2 or 3 minutes to get through the login password to my normal desktop screen).  I suppose that is normal after a complete shutdown.  This computer is normally on most of the time, only occasionally actually shut down.

I suppose there may be steps I ought to take to make sure there is nothing weird lurking in the system somewhere?

Anyway, thanks very much indeed for the magic fix!

If you suspect there is malware lurking in your system, I recommend that you post in Am I Infected? What do I do?. A helper will assist you in checking your machine.

Regards,
Alex

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:26 PM

You may want to see if you can get to the Dell Diagnostics using F12 at boot. I would also follow Alexstrasza's suggestion of posting in the Am I infected forum, An infection can cause a slowdown.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users