Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are newer HDs degrading faster?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:20 PM

I've been hearing claims that newer HDs over 1 GB are not lasting as long as older drives. Has anyone heard of problems with large HDs starting to fail, apparently by the media starting to go and sector errors eating up the disk, much earlier than previous generations of drives?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:41 PM

Sounds like nonsense to me...I find that the larger/newer hard drives...which does not mean SSDs...are at least as reliable as any old or new hard drive can be.  I trust my 2TB drives much more than I do my 500GB and older drives.

When hearing things like this...you need to remember that hard drive failure has been...and probably will continue to be...a routine event in the world of computing.  Anytime you have moving parts that are manmade...the stage is set for nonperformance, IMO.

2007 Google Study

Backblaze, 2014

Frankly...I consider articles like the above...to be pure smoke.  Like today's "sportscasters", some people are trying to draw straight lines where the path is a curved one on a ridge or mountain.

The basic flaw with hard drives...can be removed/lessened by going to SSDs...which won't be perfect (what is?) but users will be able to have a much better feeling about the reliability of the device...than can currently be obtained with any hard drive, of any size.

Louis

#3 Hello_from_ny

Hello_from_ny

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:16 PM

What's interesting is that I have a Seagate external HDD about 12yrs and older. It works but its fully inclosed with no fan and no ventilation.

Their a warning that the HDD is overheating inside. The warning was from a freeware for HDD monitoring.

Its less than 1tb. But I think all you need is proper ventilation and some kind of software to monitor the temps. You should be fine.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

I would agree with Sam .... I think there may be an argument where FASTER rpm drives 10k + drives may actually degrade faster.  I have had 3 of them that eventually failed before the 7200 drives from the same manufacturer did.  I figure I am trading performance for the ' more things to go wrong when you get the bells and whistles'  But I don't see any issues with Larger hard drives dieing before older ones.  Lets face it when you drive 100mph and hit a wall .. do you think your car will be totalled?

Do you think you'd have a better chance if your only going 25mph?  I think the same way about 10krpm drives vs 7200 and 5400.  The slower the spindle rate I would think would be a better argument for longevity.  Which is why Sony put slow 5400 drives in the ps3's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users