Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help - how can I find out who did this?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dumb_blonde

Dumb_blonde

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:19 AM

Hello, my telephone number has been put on an inappropriate site. If I was to go to police, can they do anything to help? Someone said the IP address could be traced and therefore the person located who did this? Is this right? Any advice on how to find out who posted the profile would be great. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:51 AM

yes they could trace the ip address, but that probably wont get you anywhere

an ip address can locate the internet connection that was used but not a specific person,

if they were using a public computer like at an internet cafe or library, then catching who is responsible would be next to impossible, if it was done using a home computer, then the home address of the computer could be located,

however all this goes out the window if the person is using a proxy,

getting the home address from an ip address is a difficult process, you would need to get a court order from a judge for them to give out that information to you,

Edited by mikey11, 24 February 2015 - 11:52 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:51 AM

I would suggest that you forget about the police, you need to change your phone number.  I know it's a  hassle, but not nearly as bad as getting "inappropriate" phone calls at any time.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Dumb_blonde

Dumb_blonde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:17 PM

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users