Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tips on Computer Organization

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 alex93

alex93

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:06 AM

I am seeing if anybody has some tips on how to organizing a windows 8.1 machine. 

I go to school and have personal tutorials for learning new programming lanuages.  Also have work documents that I need to organize.

I have tried to organize it myself but been having trouble trying to figure out the best way to do it. 

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to organize my folders?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:41 PM

Hi alex93 :)

Organization is all a matter of personal choice, since it reflects the way you work and you want to work on a system. I could tell you how I organized my own files and folders on my computer if you wish, but you might not like it or prefer a bit of adjustment to it if you are to do the same. I'll take screenshots once I get home tonight and post them here if you need. What "machine" do you have, a laptop or desktop computer? Do you have more than one hard drive? More than one partition?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 alex93

alex93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:45 PM

Hi Aura,

If you can post screenshots that would be great.  I am using a laptop and only have one hard drive and partition.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:58 PM

Alright :) Then usually what people will do is to create all their folders in the right directory, than go from there. Example, every Word, PDF, PowerPoint, Excel, etc. documents will go under "My Documents". If you want you can create one folder there for every type of file: Word, PDF, PowerPoint, etc. or give them name example "Psychology Class" and put all the files related to it there, even pictures and movies. Same for let's say "My Pictues". You could create a "Summer Trip 2012" folder and put all your summer trip 2012 pictures there. Like I said it's really a matter of personal preference :P I'll take screenshots once I get home.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:07 PM

As Aura has said, how you organise your work is how YOU organise your work. What works for Aura might not work for me and how I do it might not work for you.

Years ago I created a folder called 'Workfile' which contains much of my work which is partly organised by subject and partly by application. For example, inside the folder 'Word' there are another forty eight folders covering topics mostly generated with 'Word'. This 'Workfile' folder has travelled with me across a few computers but it does have the big advantage when it comes to doing back-ups that I only have to drag one folder across to my external drive.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hg96zq2ic4qzxjg/How%20I%20organise%20my%20work.jpg?dl=0

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:32 PM

Sorry for the delay, here's my setup :)

3WlzKPV.png

You'll notice that pretty much all my files are on the D: drive, since it's a 1TB HDD, while my C: drive is a 120GB SSD, so I only use it for heavy duty programs like Visual Studio, Netbeans, SQL Server Management Studio, etc. I created Program Files and Program Files (x86) on the D: drive to install games and other minor programs, so during the installation, all I have to do is to change the C: to a D: and it'll install under a normal, classed path.

unite_blue.png

#7 Silverlight10

Silverlight10

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:28 PM

Good evening, this article helped me:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15677/zen-and-the-art-of-file-and-folder-organization/

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:31 PM

This sure is another great article from HowToGeek. The pearls you can find there sometimes.

unite_blue.png

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:52 PM

My personal way of "organising" is first to annhilate all the metro junk, uninstall every single "app" the machine came with so that i can be doing everything through the desktop interface only going through metro to log in and out. Then i find it best to place my files into the directory belonging to my user, in my case my machine has it's drive partitioned into C:\ for programs and the operating systems and D:\ for personal files and downloads. The directory into whch i put folders is "D:\Users\(my user name)". All my files go somewhere into one of the folders i created here, this "D:\Users\(my user name)" folder also contains the standard "My Documents", "My Pictures", "Contacts", "Desktop", "Saved Games", "My Videos"..... folders. I find it much more natural the way XP had it's folders laid out with "My documents" containing "My Pictures" and all the other folders so i place everything in folders under "D:\Users\(my user name)" to replicate that kind of arrangement. I find in the end giving explanatory file names on files to be more important than the folder structure in which thye are placed. I usually arrange items in terms of date modified.

Edited by rp88, 11 March 2015 - 12:52 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:44 PM

Thanks, good article.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:07 PM

1.  Create a master folder per category according to how YOU categorize things in your mind.

2.  Create subfolders in that one, according to the subcategores YOU think with.

3.  Make sure that all these folders, masters and subfolders, are under ONE main folder whose name you easily remember.

Then, as has been said in this thread, you only have ONE folder to backup and copy as a command, #3.  Because, when copying 'it', you're copying all the other folders you made in #1 and #2.

Microsoft developed 'My Documents' to do that job, but in Win7 and later, it's confusing to find it.  So if you'll rename 'My Documents' to the #3 name you'll remember, it will be easier to find.  Also, create a shortcut to it in several places, like Start Menu, Task bar, Desktop.

I do that, and then routinely just copy that one folder to flash or other drive, so when working on another machine or travelling, I have an up-to-date listing.  I tend to put other stuff in there as well, like themes, settings, fonts, cursors, downloads -- so whatever machine I'm working on, I can just copy that folder or use it, while on the other machine.

Hope this helps.

Edited by brainout, 10 July 2015 - 08:08 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users