Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus Laptop stuck in startup repair loop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 seventybees

seventybees

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:39 AM

I'm posting about an Asus laptop that's been going into a loop of showing the Windows Startup Repair screen, with selecting Launch Startup Repair causing nothing to happen, and Start Windows Normally leading to windows attempting to start before failing and restarting, looping back to the Launch Startup Repair screen.

It started acting like this in 2012, and since I wasn't able to fix it at the time, I bought a new one. However, since my current laptop's charger is broken and it'll take a couple of days for it to arrive, I figured I'd take another crack at it.

The laptop runs Vista, and I can't be 100% certain but as best I can remember it's 32-bit. I bought it secondhand in 2009, so I don't have an installation disc.

I'm able to access the Advanced Boot Options screen, but the last known good configuration doesn't work, nor does starting in safe mode. The last driver it lists while attempting to load safe mode with command prompt before crashing is crcdisk.sys.

Disable automatic restart on system failure doesn't appear to work either, as it'll bring a stop error screen, I'll restart it manually, and then it'll crash and restart automatically again.

The error codes from the stop screen are

STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190444, 0x8805222D8, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:25 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Just a couple of questions. Do you have access to a Windows 7 or Vista computer? Do you need any data off the hard drive?

#3 seventybees

seventybees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:30 PM

My current laptop runs Windows 7, although I don't have access to it until I pick up my new charger in (hopefully) two days. I don't think I have any incredibly important data on the hard drive, I just thought it'd be worth a try instead of continuing to right it off completely considering other people with the startup repair loop issue seem to have sometimes been able to solve it.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:36 PM

That error usually indicates a corrupt file system. What are you posting from now, a phone or an XP computer? If you can burn an iso file to disk, we can try something using a linux distro called Puppy linux.

#5 seventybees

seventybees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:21 PM

I'm posting from an XP computer (ImgBurn is already installed w/r/t iso-burning software)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:38 PM

Download Puppy linux 5.2.8 here. Burn the iso file and boot to the Puppy Desktop. Your hard drive will be listed as sda. It will show as multiple icons labeled sda1...sda2 depending on how many partitions are on the disk. Clicking once on the icon will open the File Manager. You can attach a USB flash drive and another icon will appear next you your optical drive icon. Click once on it and another File Manager Window will open. You can then drag and drop files/folders between windows. You can also select files/folders by windowing around them. When you drag files from the hard drive to the USB flash or external drive a small dialog window will open asking if you want to copy or move. Select copy.

Once you have your important data if any copied to the external drive unmount the drive by right clicking the icon with the green dot and select unmount. Do this for every sdaX that has a green dot next to it. You can also unmount by clicking the mount icon in the upper left of the desktop.

Open the Terminal (Console) of Puppy. At the prompt type the following

ntfsfix /dev/sdaX    where X is the number of the partition. Do this for sda1..sda2.. for every one listed in the lower left that is your hard drive partition.

This will try to fix any ntfs file system error and will also force a chkdsk at reboot of Vista.

See this guide on using Puppy linux. Note. There is always a chance that if the file system is severly corrupted chkdsk can make things worse. That is why you should back up any data including emails or bookmarks that are on the drive.

#7 seventybees

seventybees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:49 AM

I'm posting this latest reply from that laptop - Puppy is up and running, and I've got what was of interest to me onto a portable HDD.

I tried running ntfsfix, and for all of the partitions it told me they were corrupt, and to try chkdsk. chkdsk didn't run at the vista reboot after ntfsfix though.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:51 AM

We will need to wait until you get your laptop back with Windows 7 to create software that will allow you to do a chkdsk. You can PM me when you are ready and we will continue in this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users