Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem : Win Xp Won't Boot / Driver Files ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dalcb22

dalcb22

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 02:16 PM

Hi....I have a computer, Win XP SP2. The computer just all of a sudden would not boot. It turns on and everything, and takes you to the dreaded "last known good configuration" screen. From there no matter which options you choose it goes to the XP screen and loads like everything is ok, but then when your desktop should pop up the screen goes blank and it just stays that way.

The only other info related to the problem is that if you boot in safe mode w/ command prompt it stops loading at this file Windows/System32/Drivers/Mup.sys. I have tried copying this file onto the drive and that didn't do anything.

Now.....I have read alot on this site and others, and here is what I did. I was able to install the hard drive as a slave on this computer and copy/ backup some files. I tried replacing the Mup.sys file to no avail. I wanted to do an XP repair install following the links from this site but the computer is an E-machines and only has a recovery disk that supposedly erases all files on drive C: (which I am trying to avoid, obviously, or I would have reformatted it already). The main reason for this is the drive has quickbooks software and files that are needed.

Does anyone else have any suggestions (other than hand grenades, which is an acceptable answer btw...) :thumbsup: If not I will probably reformat it tomorrow or use the drive as a backup for a new computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dalcb22

dalcb22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:23 AM

OK........well the short answer is that I no longer need help with this topic. Thanks to any who viewed. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users