Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

updated bios is Sony VAIO vpcse13fx.. slow computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mastapro

mastapro

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:25 PM

Hi all, I just reformatted my laptop recently because of a virus. I downloaded a bunch of drivers for this laptop from the official Sony website. Everything was working until yesterday when I decided to download a bios update. I updated from r2080h4 to r2087h4.. Now my laptop is unusable. It loads up extremely slow and everything is in slow motion so I can't do anything. I want to reset my bios version and I've tried to reset to default in the bios menu but it stays on the new version.. Any tips?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:13 PM

Download the previous version and install it.

One can also flash the BIOS via external media (CD/DVD, USB Flash Drive, SD card) by DOS and here. <--- Just a jump -off point.

Edited by bludgard, 24 February 2015 - 12:34 PM.

#3 mastapro

mastapro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:19 AM

Download the previous version and install it.

One can also flash the BIOS via external media (CD/DVD, USB Flash Drive, SD card) by DOS.

I'm just curious, do you think that the BIOS update could be causing these issues?  If so, why?  And I can't find the r2080h4 BIOS at all online.

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:24 PM

Sorry: Could not diagnose the BIOS unless it were in hand.

There are many possibilities the machine is lacking in performance. If one thinks the BIOS is at fault; previous post was to revert the change.

1) Is the BIOS update all that was changed on the machine?

2) Can the make and model of laptop be provided?

Thanks

#5 mastapro

mastapro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:23 PM

Sorry: Could not diagnose the BIOS unless it were in hand.

There are many possibilities the machine is lacking in performance. If one thinks the BIOS is at fault; previous post was to revert the change.

1) Is the BIOS update all that was changed on the machine?

2) Can the make and model of laptop be provided?

Thanks

Hi,

Yea the BIOS was the only thing changed,  the system had a full clean reinstall of windows 7 last week and everything was fine.

The laptop is a sony VAIO VPCSE13FX

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:03 PM

The laptop is a sony VAIO VPCSE13FX

Sorry, I missed that.

A moment, please.

#7 mastapro

mastapro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:05 AM

Just an update, I looked around and found a BIOS installer with version R2085H4 from here..

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Request-Camilo-Sony-Vaio-SA-SB-SC-SD-SE-series-R2085H4-Advanced-Menu-Sata-3-Plz

I installed that and rebooted and surprisingly it actually worked.... for about 1 whole day.  I used it for about 4-5 hours, then I started watching a movie last night and about 1 hour in, I'm having the exact same issues again.... Now I'm just confused..  I'm completely lost now and I'm close to just calling it a loss and buying a Macbook..... (hoping someone can help though so I don't have to spend $2k)

#8 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:19 PM

Maybe diagnostics on all on-board hardware should be run: Hard dive, RAM, CPU etc.

Also check the start-up entries, outdated software and any possible file system corruption.

Sorry the day is a bit hectic. Maybe another member can recommend the proper utilities (and the use thereof) to employ.

Edit: Does the device exhibit the same behavior if booted to Safe Mode?

Edited by bludgard, 25 February 2015 - 04:21 PM.

#9 mastapro

mastapro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:30 PM

Maybe diagnostics on all on-board hardware should be run: Hard dive, RAM, CPU etc.

Also check the start-up entries, outdated software and any possible file system corruption.

Sorry the day is a bit hectic. Maybe another member can recommend the proper utilities (and the use thereof) to employ.

Edit: Does the device exhibit the same behavior if booted to Safe Mode?

I have not tried Safe Mode but I will try when I get home tonight.  As for the diagnostics, I'm not a computer expert so I'm not sure how to do those things.  By the way, thank you for your help so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users