Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem when installing RAM

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Coolos

Coolos

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:21 PM

Hey guys,

I recently got a problem with my computer directly after attempting to replace my RAM. Once I replaced the RAM and plugged the computer back in, I got a long, repetitive beeping noise coming from the computer. In addition, none of its external ports, such as USB or the monitor appear to work. I tried replacing the RAM with the old ones, but I got the same result. Does anyone know what could have caused this?

One more thing. When I do start it up, it seems everything inside is functional. I can hear the fan spinning. I see all of the lights on the outside, and the cd drives work.

Edited by Coolos, 23 February 2015 - 06:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:32 PM

Hey guys,

{snip}    

Does anyone know what could have caused this?

Well ... obviously replacing the ram probably caused this but it may help if you provide the mfr. of the motherboard and the actual post code beep you got.  Along with the specs for both memories.

You may need to hop into the bios and ' load performace defaults ' or load default settings.

Most likely the bios was reset to default when you took out the ram.  Maybe you didn't power the board down completely and disconnect the power from the psu.  It could be that your new memory requires different voltage and your motherboard may not support it or you may have to set the voltage before powering down the board.  Too many unknowns. 

#3 Coolos

Coolos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:49 PM

Sure, the motherboard is this one I believe: http://www.ascendtech.us/dell-g9322-precision-380-motherboard_i_mbdelg9322ws380.aspx.

I looked at some videos of other beeps, and this one sounds nothing like them. It is more of a buzzing sound. The first beep is the longest, lasting probably about 3 seconds. It is followed by 3 beeps lasting about 2.5 seconds with .5 seconds in between. Then is stops for 1.5 seconds, and continues with 2 more beeps.

The RAM sticks I replaced were 2 with .5gb each and 2 with .25gb each. I was replacing them with 2 1gb sticks.

Is there any way to "hop into the bios and ' load performace defaults ' or load default settings." without a monitor?

Thanks.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:11 PM

Can you also provide the model numbers for the old memory and the new?  Do you have a video card in this computer or are you using the 'onboard' video?  Try making sure you didn't nock any wires loose when you replaced the memory.  Try putting one stick of the old memory back in at a time and see if you can get it to post.

#5 panthera0404

panthera0404

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:14 PM

maybe some dust fell into RAM slots, or sticks are not placed well. try to blow dust from slots, and press sticks harder into slots. Try to use one stick in first, second, third etc slot until computer turns on. After that put second stick, third and so on.
MBO is OK, sticks are just not placed well.

#6 Coolos

Coolos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:28 PM

I have 2 Samsung M378T6553BZ0 KD5 512MB,

2 Samsung M378T3354CZ3 CD5 256MB,

and the 2 new ones are Centon CMP667 JIYS38UXB 1GB.

I tried only putting one in, and nothing changed. The beep codes might be the dell memory problem 1-3-2, as the buzzing noise is sort of split up like that.

I do have a video card connected. I'll try checking the wires.

#7 panthera0404

panthera0404

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:59 PM

something is not placed well, gpu, ram. dust .... just keep inserting ram sticks until computer starts, press  ram sticks harder. it will start eventually, and blow slots with your mouth, a tiny bit of dust can create problem

#8 Coolos

Coolos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:06 PM

I was a little cautious about the ram sticks. I pressed down fairly tough, but they didnt really click into place. I think they were on right though. Are you saying I should keep the computer on and keep trying to insert ram sticks? Or are you saying I should turn off the computer, try to put the ram in, and then turn it on and see what happens?

#9 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:18 PM

Well .. I don't necessarily agree with blowing into the ram slots ... I would maybe used an ' unused toothbrush ' to ' make sure they are clean '

You do want to make sure they are seated properly and POWER OFF the computer and unplug it from power before changing ram sticks.  For the purposes of getting the system to boot again maybe disconnect and pull out the video card to rule out any issue with that.

I will look at those memory sticks .. try to power on with no memory and no video card.  See if you get the same beeps.

Then shut the computer down unplug and try to power it on with it unplugged yes I know it wont power on but it will discharge the board.

put the old memory back in but leave the video card out and reconnect power and turn it back on.

Once we get the system to get past POST again we can put the video card back in

#10 Coolos

Coolos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:23 PM

I will do at of that tomorrow. Thanks for your help. I will let you know how it goes.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:46 AM

Is this just the motherboard or do you have the Dell Workstation 380? If you have the Dell, there are diagnostic lights on the front of the computer.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/36927/Dell-Precision-Workstation-380.html?page=37#manual

It's possible somthing happened to the motherboard when pressing down on the RAM slots. When replacing the old RAM did you try one module trying each of the 4 slots?. If that does not work, switch the module and try that one in each slot.

#12 Coolos

Coolos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:08 PM

I just checked the light thing, and only the 1st and 3rd one lit up. This indicated that "Memory modules are detected, but a

error exists."

Edited by Coolos, 24 February 2015 - 05:10 PM.

#13 Coolos

Coolos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:12 PM

I am not entirely sure how to unplug the video card. It doesnt seem to have any wires attached.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:22 PM

I don't think the problem rests with your Video Card. If the computer does not have integrated graphics you would need remove the screw that holds the back plate and pull up on the card to remove it from it's slot. Make sure  you remove any power cord and touch bare metal on the case you remove any static charge.

#15 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:32 PM

I agree the video card does not appear to be the problem I was simply trying to throw out ideas on the possibility that the video card had been nocked lose upon installing/reinstalling memory modules.  JohnC is really good at this - but it sounds like to me the old memory modules could possibly be damaged.  Do you have any isopropyl alcohol you could use to clean the contacts on the memory modules?  Use a coffee filter to clean the contacts and let them dry for 10 mins or so.  And try again with the old memory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users