Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aspire E1-510P-2671-used

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 skhooks1

skhooks1

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:20 PM

My husband wanted to buy this laptop for our daughter but wanted to see if it's worth buying? I am not at all up-to-date anymore regarding the new technology for speed, memory, etc. etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:31 PM

http://au.pcmag.com/acer-aspire-e1-510p-2671/3857/review/acer-aspire-e1-510p-2671

The conclusion at the bottom of this review says...::

When your budget is tight, there aren't a lot of options on the laptop aisle, but the Acer Aspire E1-510P-2671 is one of the better value-priced 15-inch laptops we've reviewed. While the Dell Inspiron 15 (I15RV-6190BLK) is still our Editors' Choice for the category, due to its better performance and lower price, the Aspire E1-510P-2671 is a good alternative with enough battery life to take you through the day.

So.....it sounds like a good thing to me.  It is not going to last forever because it uses cheaper components.....but it appears to strike a good balance !!

How old is your daughter?

Do you know the previous owner?

Why are they selling it ?

Any chance you can "borrow" it to try it out ? (and maybe allow us to run a few quick scans while you have it ? )

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

#3 skhooks1

skhooks1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:05 AM

She's 20. However, my husband has bought several laptops and he doesn't know anything about technology of that level. He tries to always buy the best, but, most laptops doesn't have what's necessary.

Also it has a celeron quad processor and I'm not familiar with the best anymore.

Another concern of mines is that it has Windows 8, but it came with NO disks for the laptop.

When typing on the laptop such as the internet, it tends to take me to other places and that may be annoying in the future. I'll do the scanning you suggest!!

#4 skhooks1

skhooks1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:08 AM

Sorry. Previous owner?... no...selling?...no..how old?...no...

I have 6 more days to decide or I can return it. Bought it for $250

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:03 PM

""When typing on the laptop such as the internet, it tends to take me to other places"".......this indicates that the machine is infected....the browser is being redirected.....a visit to our "Am I Infected" area will usually cure that, or it is possible that the infection may be seated deeper, and could require a visit to the Malware Removal Forum.....bearing in mind your time constraint (6 days) ....you may get it all cleaned up in the Am i infected area in that time......in the MRL area it would take much longer...they have quite a waiting list....usually 5 days +

"Bland design. Middle-of-the-road processing power. Lower-resolution display."......this particular pc is a long way from the "best"....however there are a multitude of considerations to take into account such as what your daughter uses it for.....if used for simple stuff such as facebook and simple browsing, messaging etc etc, it is probably adequate, ...however if she is perhaps at Uni and needs some serious processing power and has multiple programs open at the one time eg editing videos etc, then this pc will not do the job.

Hopefully someone else will chime in about windows 8......I am not really all that familiar with it...other than to know that I am not tempted to move to it from Windows 7.

celeron quad processor....middle of the road....fairly ordinary.

Coming with no discs is common practice now ( I totally disagree with the practice....but that is for another topic !! )

If you open "my computer"...(or the win 8 equivalent) you should be able to see a separate partition on the C drive which houses a "recovery partition"

This is provided in lieu of discs.

Provided you keep a really good backup on an external drive (to guard against HDD failure)...you should be ok

I am assuming you are somewhere in the USA....your $250 is the equivalent of $320 here, Australia, which buys a low end, "only just" laptop.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

#6 skhooks1

skhooks1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:42 PM

Am I able to get the scanning software quickly listed than to go and rewrite my issue??

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:58 PM

I have two Acer's both are 4-5 years old, they are decent machines.  Not having disks should not be an issue as long as the factory partition is ok, it is just a matter of hitting Alt F10 it will rebuild itself to original spac's.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:32 PM

I Have to agree with Condo.  If your going to some sites and the browser is re-directing you I would say that this laptop is infected with malware and you should definitely head over to the ' Am I Infected? What do I do? " section of these forums if you plan on keeping this laptop.  Otherwise give it back and say you had some techs tell you that the laptop is probably infected with Malware and THEY should remove it before trying to sell it.

I suspect it may be one reason why they are wanting to sell.

I think the average of 5 days for proper removal is probably a good average number.  It takes time to get rid of some nasty types of infections and the speed of recovery has factors that include ' how well you understand the directions provided by the tech helping you '  - ' how infected the pc is ' - ' how big the hard drive is ' - ' how fast your internet connection is ' -  These things can change how much time it takes to ' assist you in malware removal ' among others.

I hope you get the resolution you are looking for ~

Yeah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users