Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changed local IP in WS2003 SP and now can't connect to localhost

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Princess Blue Cloud

Princess Blue Cloud

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:16 PM

The services on this Windows 2003 SP2 server have been moved to another new/updated server. We still need to log on to this old beast tho, as there's still some clean-up work that needs done ASAP. This needs to be done so we can use the NEW system. I changed the IP of this 'old beast' to what it now needs to be. It is showing the new IP pretty much everywhere I can find. When I try to connect to 'localhost', it can't find anything. I even tried the 127.0.0.1 but that's not it's IP so of course it won't connect. WHERE am I missing? We need to get back into this thing as soon as possible - I'm concerned I've gotten it jacked up and there will be no getting in there!! Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated!

rceilleen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:45 PM

Localhost refers to being ON the machine in question.  Your localhost or 127.0.0.1 is local to YOUR machine.  Have you tried walking up to the machine and logging in directly?

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:02 PM

What is running on the server that you need access to? SQL server, Apache? You could try removing the server from the network set the IP static back to its original and see if you have access. You may need to plug it into a switch so it show connected.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:28 PM

You would only use localhost or the 127.0.0.1 address if you were already on the server and needed to access something on it locally. If you are trying to access it remotely, use the IP address on your network you assigned to it, or use the fully qualified domain name of the server.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users