Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't start. I feel dumbfounded

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:37 AM

technically it can start, but a horde of errors appear prior to logging on. no mouse, no sound, and many errors. which I can boot into safe mode just fine. I try system file checker and it found corrupt files, but the problem is that it requests a cd. but the cd drive isn't present in safe mode, I uncheck "disconnected" in device manager and fuuuuuuuuuuuu, it tells me I need to reboot. I reboot directly into safe mode again, still not there. the tool won't run in restarting in msdos mode. ms has a kb that reads:

If you are still unable to start Windows 98 normally, use the System File Checker tool to check for damaged or replaced system files. To start System File Checker, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, click System Information, and then click System File Checker on the Tools menu. For information about how to use System File Checker to extract a file, please see the "System File Checker Tool" section of the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

I feel dumbfounded because how are you supposed to use this tool if you can't even boot into windows to use it?

I tried reinstalling the os, but keep getting a "error reading/writing from drive E" asks me to "retry the operation" or "fail the operation". it really doesn't matter which option I choose, it'll ask for a windows 98 disk in drive E or the CD-rom drive either way. my 98 install disc is in the drive but keep getting that error.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,580 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:23 AM

cant you boot the computer from your windows cd and perform a system repair?

you might need to go into bios first and put the cd drive as the first boot device,

#3 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:42 AM

I can boot into windows 98 setup, but how do I perform a system repair?

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,580 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:51 AM

when you boot from the cd a selection screen should appear, select to install windows, i think you just have to press enter

on the next screen it should say press 'r' to repair your system, do that,

DO NOT proceed to install windows from this point or it will erase your entire drive

#5 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:58 AM

windows 98 does not have that

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,580 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:05 PM

your going to have to boot to a command prompt somehow, using Hirens, or UBCD, safe mode (posssibly) etc etc

when your at the command prompt insert your windows cd,

get the command prompt to the cd drive letter, so if your cd is drive D, type D:

once you are there type SETUP /pf

Edited by mikey11, 23 February 2015 - 12:06 PM.

#7 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:28 PM

I found out what was wrong, apparently configuring unallocated space during reinstall corrupted something, I deleted the corruption space back to unallocated with gparted. after Windows 98 reinstall over (my programs and setting were unaffected), I still had driver malfunctioning which I fixed here: http://support2.microsoft.com/?kbid=140441

Edited by Sylveon Fetish, 23 February 2015 - 04:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users