Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft should trash its new Windows 10 Recycle Bin

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:43 AM

Is it just me or do those desktop icons on 10 look terrible? I will stick with Windows 7 and aero if the final version has this junk.

Windows fans have complained about Microsoft’s use of iconography for years. Whether it was the lack of icons to identify key folders on the Windows Vista Start Menu, numerous quirky icons for error messages, or even the mix of modern and old icons in Windows 8 — Microsoft has always failed to fully fix its icon issues. Windows 10 looks like it might finally address concerns over aging iconography, but the new replacements are a startling mix of bright colors and simplicity.

Microsoft is preparing to release an updated Windows 10 Technical Preview with a series of updates to the operating system’s iconography. One obvious change is the Recycle Bin icon that sits on the desktop. Microsoft has tweaked its Recycle Bin several times during the Windows lifetime, but it kept the same Windows 7 version for the Windows 8 release. The new Windows 10 version, revealed earlier this month by Chinese site IT Home, looks like someone created it using Microsoft Paint. I recreated the simple shape in less than a minute in Fresh Paint, and the result is equally impressive (it sucks).

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/23/8089387/microsoft-windows-10-new-icons

Edit: This image says it all

windows-logos.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 February 2015 - 08:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:34 AM

Can you still go back and see a traditional desk top, I hate the look and fell of anything after 7.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:42 AM

If you have a desktop or laptop you can set it to boot to the desktop as default.

#4 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:28 PM

If you don't like the icons ............. change them  :wink:

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:43 PM

Good point. I you refering to the UXTheme hack? :)

#6 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:00 PM

Good point. I you refering to the UXTheme hack? :)

There are plenty of images and themes around ............

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:51 PM

If you have a desktop or laptop you can set it to boot to the desktop as default.

That means I can rid the tiles?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:01 PM

Don't know what that build is/was. This is what I am working with.

Guess we'll see what the end-game reveals....

Untitled_zpsf90ab5e8.jpg

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:25 PM

The article mentioned the icons would be in an upcoming build but as you say only time will tell. Your icons look fine but those shown in the article are ridiculous if you ask me.

#10 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:34 PM

If MS is planning on throwing those finger-painted icons in the next build I will give up on Win10.

Those depicted are quite ridiculous and no one in their right mind would want to look at that several hours a day.

Edit: Wonder why they have the build # hidden in that posting? :wink:

Edited by bludgard, 23 February 2015 - 10:38 PM.

#11 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:43 AM

If MS is planning on throwing those finger-painted icons in the next build I will give up on Win10.

Those depicted are quite ridiculous and no one in their right mind would want to look at that several hours a day.

Edit: Wonder why they have the build # hidden in that posting? :wink:

Why give anything up?  Customize the look anyway you want.  It is easy enough to change the icons. 

#12 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:49 AM

Rightly so.

However; if Windows skimps on an icon, surely it won't stop there. lol

#13 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:49 AM

That means I can rid the tiles?

Read this site  :wink:   Look around here and the web, there are so many places you will find the information .  I use Win8.1 , I never see tiles >>  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/sign-in-to-the-windows-81-desktop/

#14 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:59 AM

If the new desktop icosn look so awful then it is probably not too hard to replace them with older versions, The icons are just image files and i would think other images could be substituted into their place with little difficulty. I can't be sure but i would GUESS that digging around on C:\ drive to find where the icon image is stored, then opening that image file in paint, editing it or pasting new stuff into it, then saving the new version under the same name in the same place is simple enough and shouldn't cause any hamr to the system. If you do this it might be wise to take copies of all the icon images before you edit them and store these copies in another folder just incase there is some unexpected problem caused by changing the pictures. If I'm incorrect in this assumption please correct me. I agreee those icons are ugly, but to be honest thye look like test versions and not finished icons, i would expect ms would have changed them before windows 10 comes out as a full OS.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#15 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:09 PM

icons look pre 95 lol

Edited by Sylveon Fetish, 25 February 2015 - 05:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users