Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan won't stop running once it starts until I sleep my laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 probablychinese

probablychinese

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:59 PM

Hey guys,

I noticed recently that my laptop's fans won't stop spinning loudly once they start (usually during gaming). Sleeping the laptop will stop the fan (even if only for a second.) My temps are 65-75 during gaming but drop immediately after I stop an idle of 45-65. When this problem occurs cpu usage seems normal (core 0 ~ 10%)

I have also noticed that hot air only seems to come from roughly one side of the single set of vents at the back of the laptop.

I haven't dusted since I bought it (a year?), although I did vacuum the vents. grin.gif 

Any help or advice on this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

specs:
nvidia gtx 765m
i7-4700mq
8gb ram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:54 AM

Hi and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer community.
In some laptops, the inlet vent is near the outlet vent. So you willnot find a fan assembly directly, just vents only. What is your laptop model?
If the problem occurs only during and after gaming, check changing your power profile to maximum power savings or balanced mode.
Check your CPU and GPU temp with tools like speccy from piriform.com (publish your result at piriform and post a link )or Realtemp from techpowerup.com and post back your observations.
May be you will need to clean install your graphic drivers.
[edit] In Nvidia driver settings, there is an option(under physix) to select automatically the GPU for the programs. Make sure its set to 'automatically select' and not any specific GPU.
BTW, have you tried to wait and see if the fan settles down?

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 23 February 2015 - 01:10 AM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#3 probablychinese

probablychinese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:23 AM

Thanks for the reply.

The laptop is a clevo w355st. I'm always on balanced mode, and temps during gaming ar 65-80 and when not they are arouund 45-65. 

Nvidia driver settings are already set to automatic.  Cpu usage is 15 % when not gaming. I have the newest drivers.

Sometimes the fan stops, but only if it has been running for < 10 mins. I have waited as long as 40 mins before sleeping it.

Edited by probablychinese, 23 February 2015 - 01:24 AM.

#4 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:56 AM

To cool down to normal temperature, it may take a while. While I game on my Samsung laptop, it takes around 20 mins to completely cool down to normal temp ( around 40 C) from 80 to 90C. I've observed the fan will run loud till temp falls below 57 or 60 C. Not familiar with your laptop company and model, but sometimes driver issues can cause the fan to spin loud for a long time along with weak heat sink contact with the chips, dust etc.
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#5 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:57 AM

Copycat - removed

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 23 February 2015 - 02:45 AM.

#6 probablychinese

probablychinese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:30 AM

Unfortunately, my temps fall to the 60 range immediately after closing my game, so that might not be the issue- unless maybe if it is only that cool because of the fan? I've updated my driver to no effect. How can I check heat sink contact and dust issues?

#7 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:41 AM

That would require you to open your laptop. Please wait for other members to chime in for different views before doing that. (if under warranty, opening your laptop may break the warranty.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users