Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adware issue.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GorG969

GorG969

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:43 PM

So I opened up my firefox browser the other the other day and was attacked with ads even with adblock turned on. I did a quick search in my program files and found the following folders created within the span of a minute. Its been a while since I installed anything on my computer so i'm not quiet sure how I got infected.

Allcheapeprice

Hoappy2Save

Robosavier

saverrextenseion

sinhala meaning

I tried to remove them but wasn't able to do it successfully, they didn't exist in the control panel. All I could do is remove the extension from my browser.. Any help would be greatly apprciated.

*Edit

Windows 7 OS

Ran malwarebytes and windows essential to no avail.

Edited by GorG969, 22 February 2015 - 10:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:08 AM

In many cases these issues are the result of unwanted toolbars, add-ons/plug-ins, and browser extensions which come bundled with other free software (often without the knowledge or consent of the user). They can be the source of various issues and problems to include adware, pop-up ads, browser hijacking which may change your home page/search engine, and cause user profile corruption.

See About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) which explains the most common ways you encounter this stuff.

As such they are generally classified as Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) and many of them can be removed from within its program group Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs or by using Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel, so always check there first. With most adware/junkware it is strongly recommended to deal with it like a legitimate program and uninstall from Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. In most cases, using the uninstaller of the adware not only removes it more effectively, but it also restores many changed configuration settings.

Alternatively, you can use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable and follow these instructions for using it. Revo will do a more thorough job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.

The next place to check is your browser extensions and add-ons/plug-ins.To reset your browser settings to default:To reset the browser home page if it was changed, please refer to:Note: Some ads have Opting Out procedures which you should check for when normal removal methods fail. For example, if you click on the Advertiser's name - i.e. AdChoices - you are taken to a page which contains opt-out information. For a list of companies which have Opting Out procedures, please refer to:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:08 AM

Only after doing the above...continue as follows:

Please download the following tools to your desktop and use them in the order listed. They will search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons and other junkware as well as related registry entries (values, keys) and remnants.

RKill created by Grinler (aka Lawrence Abrams), the site owner of BleepingComputer.
AdwCleaner created by Xplode.
Junkware Removal Tool created by thisisu.

1. Double-click on RKill to launch the tool. A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully. A log file will be created and saved to the root directory, C:\RKill.log. Copy and paste the contents of RKill.log in your next reply.

Important: Do not reboot your computer until you complete the next step.

2. Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • The tool will start to update its database...please wait until complete.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Logfile button...a report (AdwCleaner[RX].txt) will open in Notepad (where the largest value of # represents the most recent report).
  • After reviewing the log, click on the Clean button.
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S#].txt) will open automatically (where the largest value of # represents the most recent report).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.
-- Note: The contents of the AdwCleaner log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you recognize and know should not be removed, don't worry about it. If you see an entry you want to keep, return to AdwCleaner before cleaning...all detected items will be listed (and checked) in each tab. Click on and uncheck any items you want to keep.

Close all open programs and shut down any protection/security software to avoid potential conflicts.

3. Double-click on JRT.exe to run the tool.
Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log file named JRT.txt will automatically open and be saved to your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste the contents of JRT.txt in your next reply.
4. As a final step, rescan again with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and post the log. Refer to this topic for instructions on how to save/export a Scan log...How do I access and save logs from Malwarebytes Anti-Malware?.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users