Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice in choosing the career path

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 greaet

greaet

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:24 PM

Hi, I've completed CCNA and CEH recently and I'm planning to change my domain (related to Security). I'm currently working in Product support. What kind of jobs should I look for? Is there anything more I need to study (related to programming?). TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:25 PM

What do you want to do?  I highly recommend doing something you enjoy, over something that pays better.

What product(s) are you supporting?

#3 greaet

greaet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:41 AM

What do you want to do?  I highly recommend doing something you enjoy, over something that pays better.

What product(s) are you supporting?

I'm in Norton product support. When I started my career my initial goal was to become a security analyst but every job opening I see says I need to learn PHP/Shell scripting. The other one I wanted to become is a threat analyst but it's like I've reached a dead end. I'm not sure where to start and what to do.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:36 PM

Scripting is a skill that will serve you well in IT.  Scripting allows you to automate tasks and perform repetitive tasks easily.

Security+ might be a certification to pursue.

#5 greaet

greaet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:38 AM

CompTIA Security+ certification? Sure, will have a check. Thank you.

How about penetration testing courses? Heard that they teach scripting language in it.

Is it necessary that I need to know at least 1 programming language like Java, Oracle etc? 

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to ask this question. What should I be looking at if I am looking for a career in Abroad? (I'm in India). 

TIA

Regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users