Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow down and then lock up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 monkeyfeet228

monkeyfeet228

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:13 PM

I built my desktop about 8 months ago, and initially it worked great. Lately, it's been slowing to a crawl for about a minute and then completely locking up. It doesn't blue screen, just sits thinking and if I leave it for a while (30 minutes to an hour) it eventually comes back. Twice when I hit the restart button it's come back with a black screen (though a full power down and up has brought it back). It doesn't look like the processor is maxing out when this happens (though my ability to get to task manager when it happens is pretty inconsistent). I use this computer for gaming as well as some computationally brutal bioinformatics work.

I had Avast and since that didn't find anything I assumed it just wasn't working, uninstalled, tried BitDefender, also came back clean, didn't like the annoying notifications, so I then switched to MalwareBytes, and still clean, so I'm pretty sure it's not a virus. I've run Seatools as well as chkdisk, both clean, mdsched and memtest, both clean, Passmark's BurnIn for the processor, also clean. I don't know what to test anymore. OpenHardwareMonitor shows my temps all being in the low 30s.

Some other things I've noticed: Windows has a notification for chipset drivers being out of date (even though I've reinstalled them, and they show as up to date in the device manager); my disk utilization in task manager often shows high utilization (90-100%) even though the listed processes only add up to 2 or 3 MB/s, CrystalDiskMark gives normal benchmark values though; I have 8GB of RAM, but my paging file fluctuates between using 4-8GB as well (not sure if that's actually indicative of anything, but I've heard with that much RAM, that the paging file wouldn't get much use); and Event Viewer has some weird stuff there is an event that is just repeated every 5 minutes "The Windows Security Center Service could not stop Windows Defender", and about 10-20 minutes before each crash, there's "Insufficient quota to complete the requested service. (HRESULT : 0x800705ad) (0x800705ad)". I Googled these and didn't find anything useful (a few results about AV software I don't have being incompatible with 664-bit and some results about possible rootkits (but I imagine at least one of those AV programs would've found the rootkit if there was one?)).

Thank you so much to anyone who takes the time to read all this!

Here's the specs if that matters at all:

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

MSI Z97 GuardPro Motherboard
i5-4690K Intel processor

8192GB RAM

Seagate 1TB Barracuda

Nvidia GeForce GTX 780

(It's built to be overclocked, but since I haven't got around to installing more cooling, it's running stock)

EDIT: Oh ya! My drivers are up to date.

Edited by monkeyfeet228, 22 February 2015 - 06:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:16 PM

1 - "my disk utilization in task manager often shows high utilization (90-100%)"

Does the Windows C: partition have plenty of freespace?

2 - Try running a scan with ADWCleaner http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/ (read the instructions)

Post the logfile if it requires some further scrutiny.

#3 monkeyfeet228

monkeyfeet228
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for replying!

My hard drive has 500 GB out of 1 TB free on it. I think the utilization that they're talking about is read bandwidth?

Ran the scan and got a few registry hits:

# AdwCleaner v4.111 - Logfile created 24/02/2015 at 15:55:06
# Updated 18/02/2015 by Xplode
# Database : 2015-02-18.3 [Server]
# Operating system : Windows 8.1 Pro  (x64)
# Username : X - SHIVERS
# Running from : C:\Users\X\Downloads\AdwCleaner.exe
# Option : Cleaning

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

***** [ Scheduled tasks ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.protectorbho
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.protectorbho.1
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\OCS

***** [ Web browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v11.0.9600.17416

-\\ Mozilla Firefox v35.0.1 (x86 en-GB)

-\\ Google Chrome v40.0.2214.115

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [961 bytes] - [24/02/2015 15:44:51]
AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [858 bytes] - [24/02/2015 15:55:06]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [916  bytes] ##########

I Googled around and couldn't find anything specific about protector._dll other than it's bad. and OCS looks like some sort of logging program.

#4 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:41 AM

Read/write activity yes, but that can increase when the System starts running out of space.

Have you looked in Resource Monitor to observe which process is utilising the disk when it gets to 90%-100%?

There is a link to Resource Monitor on the Task Manager Window (bottom left in the Performance tab)

Nothing much going on in that ADWCleaner log, but it would be worth running it again at some point to see if those registry key are re-written.

Edited by HairCut, 25 February 2015 - 07:44 AM.

#5 monkeyfeet228

monkeyfeet228
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:50 AM

So it's not any 1 process, it's a whole bunch of them, usually only a few tenths of a MB each (which to me sounds like it's doing a lot of non-sequential reading, but defrag says everything is fine). It's changed a bit since my last post, it's not locking up anymore, but it wont shut down (I go to shut down or hit the button on the tower and it restarts instead). It's also consuming quite a bit of RAM (~6 GB) at rest now (There are dozens of "Service Host: Local System" processes running).

A new scan shows Protectorbho is back.

#6 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:09 AM

I wonder if your installed programs might reveal Badware?

Please download and run Minitoolbix: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

Tick the Checkbox next to List installed programs and copy and paste the result here.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:04 AM

Try running a scan with ADWCleaner 

ADWCleaner is considered a malware tool, as such it can not be run in the Windows Forums.  Obviously Hamluis has not seen this, if he had this topic would have been moved to the Am I Infected forum.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:06 AM

Hi Monkeyfeet228, and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

==========

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users