Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU fluctuations / high usage Vista home premium

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 intersection

intersection

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:06 PM

Evening all

I'm looking for some help fixing my computer.

Task manager 'Performance' indicates a really high fluctuating CPU usage, sometimes 100% for 10 seconds or more. all indicated with no applications open. 

The highest indicated CPU item in 'processes' is 3-5 for task manager. the totals for all items come nowhere near the totals indicated in the performance section.

The highest item indicated in resource monitor, (image) CPU usage is svchost.exe (DcomLaunch) 30-60%, along with a couple of others, seems to correlate with the amount of CPU usage indicated in the performance section.

I have attached screen prints to help.Attached File  Processes.jpg   50.68KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Performance.jpg   71.75KB   0 downloadsAttached File  resource monitor CPU.jpg   61.6KB   0 downloads

Any help much appreciated

Regards

Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:38 AM

Hello there,

This usually means you have little space left on your HDD

Can you try to remove some program/files and see if the performance improves?

Also, Is your system up to date? If not please follow this link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/install-windows-updates

Hope this helps! 

#3 intersection

intersection
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:00 PM

Hi Masterthemachines

I removed a few programmes, megs not gigs. Although I have 103GB free of 224GB.

My system is up to date, I update every time i get the notification.

Unfortunately I still have the same issue. 

Any other avenues i could explore?

Thanks

Mark

#4 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:36 AM

Hi Mark,

This may be caused by an annoying Anti-Virus. Can you tell me which AV your currently running?

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:58 AM

Hi Mark,

This may be caused by an annoying Anti-Virus. Can you tell me which AV your currently running?

Just to throw in my two cents - the Processes list suggest that Mark is running McAfee.

Alex

#6 intersection

intersection
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:49 PM

Evening all

I am indeed running McAfee

Mark

#7 intersection

intersection
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

Further info

Just noticed, that Chrome opens 6 versions of itself in the process section of task manager.

and the address section on my google home page comes up as 

https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=5rb0VPaKBef88we2zYEg&gws_rd=ssl

??

Mark

#8 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:59 PM

Hello,

Just a couple of things... I noticed in the screenshot you posted of processes in task manager wasn't elevated to "show processes from all users". If you do that and sort the list by cpu, you will get a fuller picture of what is taking up your cpu time. Remember that 'system idle process' can be at 90% or more at times, and is an indication of whats available, rather that what's in use.

I do see a lot of complaints about McAfee hogging memory and CPU time. It may be something you could consider switching.  

You can temporarily disable McAfee's on access scanner to see how much of a problem that's causing, but first you would need to activate the option as follows...

1. Click Start, Programs, McAfee, VirusScan Console.
  2. Double-click Access Protection.
  3. Deselect Prevent McAfee Services from being stopped.
  4. Click Apply and OK.
  5. Exit the VirusScan Console.

NOW you can right click the McAfee icon in the system notification area and click "disable on access scan".

I am not recommending you keep this disabled, I am only suggesting it as a diagnostic check.  I usually disable the on access feature of antivirus software in the interest of performance, without issue, but I haven't used McAfee in a few years, so I can't vouch for its effectiveness without it.  Also, I don't know your internet or downloading habits.

Remember to go back to the console and reselect 'prevent mcafee services from being stopped" after you re-enable on access scanning.  Good luck to you. 

Edited by MarkMCS, 17 March 2015 - 01:01 PM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users