Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone heard of Reg Pro Cleaner download

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 harkcomp

harkcomp

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:00 PM

Has anyone heard of Reg Pro Cleaner download? Is it a reliable product, or just bait put out there by a scammer.

Harkcomp

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:05 PM

Reg Pro Cleaner is junk adware which claims to be an optimizing tool with registry cleaning capability that purports to improve performance, make repairs and enhance the speed of a computer. The optimization and performance improvement claims made by such software vendors are borderline scams. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are a marketing ploy intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product. I would not trust any results such programs detect as problematic or needing repair nor recommend using the options to fix them. If any issues are found...RegClean Pro will state that you need to buy its full version before being able to fix anything.

Further, these types of junk optimization programs are often considered Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) so they may be detected or even removed by some security scanners which specifically look for PUPs and adware. Do not download this program. Also be aware it is often bundled with other free software you download from the Internet.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Be sure to read Microsoft's support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities in that topic...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:25 PM

Hi hark :)

I strongly suggest you to not use Registry cleaner. I can tell you that they won't do anything to improve your system performance, nor will they fix any errors on your system at all. Once you understand how Windows works, you'll see how pathetic the vendors that sells these products tries to bait you to use them, how they try to invent a "need" for them. BSODs aren't caused by Registry errors, so cleaners won't affect them. The size of the Registry doesn't affect the start-up time of Windows, nor will it make it go faster. You have more chances of breaking up your system using a Registry cleaner than not using one. Trust me, there's not a single competant technical support that will ever recommended a such product. Even the Registry Cleaner feature from CCleaner shouldn't be used, despite the fact that it creates a back-up before deleting the entries. If you need to clean or repair something in the Registry, let us know and we'll assist you with that in a safe and efficient way.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:47 PM

More info here...
PissedConsumer.com: Reg Pro Cleaner Complaints
ComplaintsBoard.com: Reg Pro Cleaner Complaints

And if you want additional proof this program is garbage, see these search results.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,506 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:15 AM

I've very very carefully and cautiously used Auslogics and Wise Registry Cleaner for specific purposes, along with RegEdit or Registrar Registry Manager.  While not recommending such for others, I find them specific-purpose useful.

Since we're mentioned possible damage to Windows and/or other programs' operations, do you folks caution that using ComboFix, JRT, RKill, can lead to unwanted effects -- unless also used very very cautiously?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:23 AM

Since we're mentioned possible damage to Windows and/or other programs' operations, do you folks caution that using ComboFix, JRT, RKill, can lead to unwanted effects -- unless also used very very cautiously?

There is a ComboFix warning here :)

Alex

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:46 AM

JRT and AdwCleaner can be used by pretty much anyone, however if you don't know what you're doing, it's recommended to only run these tools under the advice on a trained malware removal helper. While for JRT there's nothing really you can do about it since it only have a "fix-mode", there's no option to scan first and delete what's found after. However it does a Registry back-up before starting deleting anything so you can restore the hives if something goes wrong with it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,506 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:01 PM

"...it's recommended to only run these tools under the advice on a trained malware removal helper..."  aura

golden words in a frame of silver!  That summerizes things real well.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:18 PM

JRT like AdwCleaner is designed to search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers , browser extensions, add-ons/plug-ins, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware to include related registry entries (values, keys). AdwCleaner will remove all traces of these types of programs which includes related services, registry entries (values, keys), files, folders and potentially unwanted extensions.

RKill is primarily designed to terminate the most common malicious processes that prevent other security tools from being executed, complete a scan or used to disinfect the system. When RKill is able to terminate malicious processes and fix certain registry keys, that action usually allows other tools to perform scans and clean up routines to remove the infection. Since RKill is not designed to be a comprehensive malware removal tool, using it is not required in all situations. If you are able to run other security tools without them terminating, there is no need to run RKill. However, if RKill is run separately without or after other security tools, it's log can provide useful information to help diagnose the presence of malware or report other issues as the developer (Grinler) added some basic enumeration to the tool for various infections.

One characteristic of PUPs and other junkware is that they insert themselves (components) into various areas throughout a computer's operation system to include browsers, hidden folders and windows registry making it more difficult to remove.

Therefore, with most Adware/Junkware/PUPs it is strongly recommended to deal with it like a legitimate program and uninstall from Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel or an alternative third party uninstaller like Revo. In many cases, using the uninstaller of the adware not only removes it more effectively, but it also restores many changed configuration settings.

After uninstallation, then you can run specialized tools like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, AdwCleaner and JRT to fix any remaining entries they may find.

All done without resorting to RegEdit, Registrar Registry Manager or similar utilities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users