Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My step mothers computer is infected with a serious virus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TattooMafia

TattooMafia

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:56 PM

Hi team,

You've helped me in the past and I was very satisfied with the result, no more problems for me.

However, my step mother has encountered a very serious (what I assume is a virus) problem.

She received an email that told her not to open it, but unfortunately she thought this was a joke and opened it anyway.

She was on the internet and a window popped up called "System Defender" it runs a scan and says the computer is infected by multiple viruses and malware intruders.

It says she does not have anti virus installed or spyware.

Now for me a window comes up saying "Process Alert"

Your computer might be infected with: SillyDI BCL.

It's saying its an Intel related issue. There are also 34 threats detected, loads of potential trojans etc.

New window pop up "Critical system threats detected"

I don't want to do anything here, so i go to close the window and another pop up comes. Always telling me I am at risk.

I click the x and close the windows and go to shutdown.

Again a pop up window telling me that there are unknown programs trying to access her data. I click on "Force log off"

The computer shuts down, but then starts up again on its own.

We have not tried to do anything to fix the problem, she came to me and I told her I would post here.

I will include screenshots from my phone of the issues, I can email them to you, it is too long to write everything.

She is running Windows XP and we have shut the computer off at the wall. She won't use it until you send me a reply.

Edited by TattooMafia, 22 February 2015 - 05:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:08 PM

Remove System Defender (Uninstall Guide)

Remove System Defender (Uninstall Guide)

Try the directions in the above link. They were revised in 2011 and may still work. Let us know if they don't.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:36 PM

If the Removal Guide listed above does not work for you...or you desire to initiate a topic in the Malware Removal Logs Forum, following the instructions reflected at Steps 6-8 of Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html , being sure to post that new topic in the forum which contains the Prep Guide.

Louis

#4 TattooMafia

TattooMafia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:23 PM

Hey guys,

I used the uninstall guide for System Defender as you suggested and this worked.

Thank you very much for your help!

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,617 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:54 PM

Good....Would be a good idea to run CCleaner and AdwCleaner, too. Up to you. Will take 15 minutes to do both.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

• download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
  • Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
    Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • After reviewing the log, click on the Clean button.
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 TattooMafia

TattooMafia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:01 AM

Alright, I will do both tonight. Thanks for the advice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users