Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this the end of the world? No. BUT ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jakeratboy81

Jakeratboy81

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:32 PM

So here's the deal, kids:

I had my desktop hooked up to my friend's fancy new TV for a little while, playing "Dragon Age: Inquisition" on the big screen. But now I brought it back home and the size of everything is way out of wack. 

The icons are too big, the text is too small. Even other programs are having really strange size issues (I'm watching a show on Netflix, using Chrome, and the Netflix buttons are crazy small.)

I tried fixing it myself, but I kind of only made it worse. It also seems like the font isn't even the same font anymore? I don't know. 

Fixing it myself didn't go well, so I'm here asking for help from the experts. I just want the settings back to what they were before I hooked the computer up to the TV!

Thank you for any help you can give,

Jake.

Edited by Jakeratboy81, 22 February 2015 - 04:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:15 PM

control panel > personalization > display settings

adjust the resolution

#3 Jakeratboy81

Jakeratboy81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:37 PM

I at least had the basic knowledge to attempt that before I posted here, thankfully. 

No, this seems to be another issue altogether. It's not the resolution, it's that all the different options seem to be set on different sizes. The bottom toolbar is strangely large, the icons fonts are larger (and possibly a different font?) The buttons and webpages on Chrome seem too small, but the font for my links in Bookmark Toolbar is too large?

Keep in mind this is without me changing anything. Windows 8.1 automatically set it to this when I connected to my friends' TV.

I guess I'm hoping there's an option to tell it, "Hey, remember when I first installed you? I'd like all the text and viewing options set back to that, please and thank you."

I would like it to be set back to that without me having to re-install everything. 

Edited by Jakeratboy81, 22 February 2015 - 05:37 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:43 PM

When you go to your display settings, is your monitor listed in the dropdown box or is the TV still listed? You may want to try resetting your fonts to default.

1. Open Fonts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Fonts.
2. In the left pane, click Font settings.
3. Click Restore default font settings.

Can you do a System Restore to the date before you connected to the TV? Any files added to the desktop since that restore point would need to be moved to your documents folder. This would be for every account on the computer.

#5 Jakeratboy81

Jakeratboy81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:10 PM

AWESOME. Yes, that did it. I can't believe I forgot about System Restore, but to be fair I haven't had need to use it in a good long time.

Everything is back as it should be. Thanks again, JohnC_21!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users