Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kiling bugs in XP

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mysticmonk1221

mysticmonk1221

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:28 PM

I use XP and don't intend to change until I have to.  My computers do not have anti-virus enabled.

Frequently bugs get into the compulters.  Usually I can get rid of them by deleting Firefox then reinstalling Firefox Setup 16.0.2.exe which I keep on the disk. (i don't like disc)  Takes about 2 minutes.

I hope this is of a little help to someone.

Edited by hamluis, 22 February 2015 - 04:18 PM.
Moved from XP to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:25 PM

Maybe you have no other option than using Windows XP, but you certainly are not forced to use such an old version of Firefox.

We are at Firefox version 35 now.  I looked it up, Firefox 16 is more than 2 years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Firefox#Version_16

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:59 PM

My computers do not have anti-virus enabled.

Why is it not enabled?

And if it is a free version, read this...Forced to use Windows XP past April? 10 ways to make the best of a bad situation

...those XP users left out there are wondering what they can possibly do to mitigate their risks as much as possible. The best course of action without a doubt is moving to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, but if you can't or won't make such a bold move, then here's the best of what's left on your plate of options.

#1: Ditch the Free AV - Get a Paid Solution

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:31 PM

mysticmonk1221, we'll have to be honest here. You're using an outdated, unsupported and vulnerable OS at the moment. Which means that every bugs and exploits that are found in Windows XP (and trust me, there's tons of them already) will not be patched by Microsoft. There's only so much Antivirus and security software can do to protect a system. But when the system itself isn't secure and have holes, it doesn't matter how much security you put it on, it will still be vulnerable and it'll still have a good chance to be compromised. My advice for you would be to take the money that you were to invest in an Antivirus and invest it in a more recent version of Windows, like Windows 7 or Windows 8 (even 8.1, but you can upgrade from 8 to 8.1 for free). If you cannot afford it, you can always move to a Linux distro until you have the money to afford it. Look at Windows XP like an old car or old wood boat that is already full of holes. It doesn't matter how many planks and nails you add to it to keep it alive, soon others will appear and it'll make that car stop working or the boat sink. This is the current status of Windows XP. It's not worth using anymore, for your security and safety online it's time to move on.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:51 PM

While the best thing to do is upgrade, not everyone can do that and mysticmonk1221 already said he doesn't intend to change his OS....thus, no sense in harping about that.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:59 PM

He probably doesn't knows the full risks of using Windows XP yet. It's one thing to refuse to upgrade your OS when you don't know the risks, but when you know the risks then it's something else. If he tells me that he's fully aware of the fact that his security is at risk and he still wants to use Windows XP, then it's something else. I would just withdraw from this thread.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:21 PM

I don't agree. The OP stated he uses XP and was not going to change his OS. That is his decision (as well as many other folks) and none of them need to be lectured about the risks of not doing so when they ask for help.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:38 PM

It wouldn't be morally honest as a technician to not warn a user about the risks of using an outdated OS. Sorry quietman if you don't agree with me on that. I care about the users and their security and it's my job in real life to warn them about the risks of using an outdated, unsupported and vulnerable OS. It's not because I offer my assistance online that I'll stop acting like that. Now the OP never stated in his thread that he's aware of the risks of using Windows XP so I guess that I'm allowed to lecture him about them just so he's informed. If after that he makes the decision to stick with Windows XP, I'll have nothing more to add. For now, I'm waiting for a reply of the OP on this.

unite_blue.png

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:53 PM

Aura., on 22 Feb 2015 - 5:59 PM, said:

He probably doesn't knows the full risks of using Windows XP yet.

And maybe he already knew about the risks. That is something we won't know until/unless he tells us.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:55 PM

Exactly Queen-Evie, thank you. "Never assume, always confirms." Hence why I'm explaining to the OP the dangers of using Windows XP and waiting for his answer to wether he knew about them or not. For now, I'll stay out of this thread until the OP replies.

unite_blue.png

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:15 PM

My main security tips for running XP machiens are as follows:
1. Ensure you have an antivirus and it is up to date, there are several free ones(on my machine, although it isn't windows XP the same principles apply, i use AVG).
2. Add to this an antimalware tool as a second opinion scanner, some of these also give some realtime protection designed to work alongside your antivirus(for me this is malwarebytes, the free version).
3. And have a third opinion scanner, just for when you feel suspicious but niether your antivirus or antimalware finds anything(on my machine i use ESET online scanner for this).
4. Some users would disagree with me on this tip if i were talking about other operating systens, but for XP make sure to stay away from internet explorer as your browser. Internet explorer in XP no longer gets security updates, but firefox and chrome can both be run on xp in a state just as up-to-date as thye are on more modern operating systems.
5. Use an adblocker (i use adblockplus in firefox) to stop malvertising (one of the biggest threats to users thesdays) and a script blocker to further prevtn drivebys (i use NoScript for this), these tools are particularly important on an XP operating system.
6. Remove pluins which you don't use and remove software which you don't use, the less programs running the less potential places for a vulnerability in your system to be exploited from.
7. Disable plugins except when you need them, set them to "click to play" or "ask to activate" when visiting sites where you may need to use them, set them to fully "disabled" at other times.
8. Update firefox, while i think it's very wise to keep that installer on a disc(one never knows when one might need certain installers while offline) i suggest that as soon as you have installed from it then remove the disc and update firefox to the latest version before doing anything else. Infact it's also a good idea to download the latest version of firefox from it's website and keep it's installer backed up rather than just having the old installer backed up.
9. Backup your files!! Everything above should help you be reasonably secure but if all else fails there is nothing as important as having a clean copy of your precious files on an external medium which you can restore them from, just get a few USB flash drives and make sure to backup not just to one device but to kep several backups of any given precious file.
10. Read about what windows updates for more modern versions of windows are fixing, you might not get the updates any more but by reading what is being fixed you get a sense of where vulnerabilities in xp are found(because many vulnerabilities in the latest windows versions are the same right back to the earliest versions), knowing this can sometimes help you use mitigating factors. For example when an update comes out to fix internet explorer on windows 7,8,8.1 and 10 you can see that IE has a problem and that this problem is likely to extend back to IE on XP so you avoid IE after such news comes out, As another example if an update comes out to fix a vulnerability whcih can be exploited if certain system settings are turned on then assume this goes back to XP as well as to the modern machines which are being updated, and do what you can to avoid having system settings in the vulnerable configuration.
11. make systems images if you can, these are not like backups for your files and shouln't be used as such, but they are a great way to ensure you have a copy of a clean and working system with th programs you like all installed, and you can fall back to it if you get infected.

Edited by rp88, 22 February 2015 - 08:15 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:31 AM

I use XP and don't intend to change until I have to.  My computers do not have anti-virus enabled.

Frequently bugs get into the compulters.  Usually I can get rid of them by deleting Firefox then reinstalling Firefox Setup 16.0.2.exe which I keep on the disk. (i don't like disc)  Takes about 2 minutes.

I hope this is of a little help to someone.

Here's how I read all that

The Op is telling others it's ok to run an obsolete operating system Windows XP, that you don't need an Anti Virus ( I see no mention of firewall )

And if you get " Bugs " all you do is delete Firefox 16 and reinstall it and the " Bugs " are gone.

I just wonder what " bugs" the OP is talking about, Viruses, Trojans, Root kits?

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:44 AM

Frequently bugs get into the compulters.  Usually I can get rid of them by deleting Firefox then reinstalling Firefox Setup 16.0.2.exe..

That sounds like adware and browser hijacking. Removing and reinstalling is similar to resetting the browser which fixes most of this issues.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:22 AM

Wouldn't it be a good idea to send the OP in the "Am I Infected?" section first prior to assist him here since these bugs have good chances to be adware and browser hijacker like quietman said?

unite_blue.png

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:16 PM

I said it sounds like adware and browser hijacking based on the brief comments made by the OP. More information is necessary before I make that decision.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users