Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard disk dead?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 aakashpatelfang

aakashpatelfang

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:05 PM

Hi

I was recently was using my laptop when suddenly the screen froze and I wasn't able to do anything. Then I forced shutdown started it up again and it kept on restarting after the win 7 start up logo. I then used parted magic to see if that worked and it did. Also the same thing happen to all the safe modes and when I went to repair my computer or even used a USB recovery program it just went to the background and I am not able to see anything after that and I am able to use my mouse though. I was wondering if I were to be able to fix the hard drive (if possible) by using parted magic. I also put the hard drive into another computer same result

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sundarec

sundarec

• Banned Spammer
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:25 PM

i order to check whether hard drive is gone bad or not,if that is a Seagate harddrive ,Download the seatools from the seagate website burn it in a CD
=Try boot from cd/dvd ,where you can test wheather hard drive is gone bad or not

Data Recovery Expert

#3 aakashpatelfang

aakashpatelfang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:37 PM

What if its a Hitachi?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:54 PM

You can check the hard drive with Parted Magic. There is an icon on the desktop either called GsmartControl or Disk Health depending on your version. Run the short test and see if it passes. You can also use Parted Magic to recover any data you need to an external or USB flash drive.

To keep WIndows 7 from restarting at boot tap F8 and select Disable AutoRestart at System Failure. If the computer throws a blue screen it may give you a clue to the problem.

#5 aakashpatelfang

aakashpatelfang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:32 PM

I am seeing a blue screen after disabling the auto restart and for the disk health it is showing an error

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:46 PM

What error? Were you able to start the Disk Health utility and then the error showed or did the utility fail to start? Was there a error code displayed on the blue screen?

#7 aakashpatelfang

aakashpatelfang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:56 PM

The error code from the Blue screen see the photo and for the test it said completed with read failure.

http://s296.photobucket.com/user/aakashpatelfang1/media/20150222_162906_zpsd55ed473.jpg.html?filters[user]=142633774&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:08 PM

I am pretty sure your hard drive has failed. When you boot to Parted Magic, open the File Manager on the Desktop. Can you browse the files on your hard drive?

#9 aakashpatelfang

aakashpatelfang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:19 PM

Yes I can browse the files on my hard drive

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:32 PM

I would copy your most important data to an external drive or USB flash drive first. Then on another Windows 7 computer, create a System Repair Disk. Boot the System Repair Disk and do a Startup Repair. It may take up to three attemps for a complete repair.

I still do not understand why Disk Health has a read failure. When you first start Disk Health is your drive shown in red? Can you at least open Disk Health and look at the attributes tab?

#11 aakashpatelfang

aakashpatelfang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:41 PM

Yes I can and it say Airflow temperature failed in the past and there are couple of option have pinkish color highlighted to them

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:49 PM

Can you post a screenshot of the attributes? I think Parted Magic has a screenshot utility. Pink colors mean warning before failure. Are there any other rows that are red? What is the reading for Current Pending Sectors? I would start to copy your most important files first just in case the drive is near failure if you do not have the files backed up.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 February 2015 - 06:49 PM.

#13 aakashpatelfang

aakashpatelfang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:56 PM

http://s296.photobucket.com/user/aakashpatelfang1/media/20150222_175253_zpsef62cd8c.jpg.html?filters[user]=142633774&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:32 PM

Your Reallocated Sector Count is high and you have a number of Current Pending Sectors waiting to be written to another area of the drive. It's possible these pending sectors are keeping the drive from booting. I would backup your critical data and then do a startup repair using a System Repair Disk created on another Windows 7 computer.

#15 aakashpatelfang

aakashpatelfang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:37 PM

Is it possible to download the system repair disk from the internet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users