Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows unable to start, recover, or repair

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Curb71

Curb71

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:42 PM

I have a Dell XPS 8700 desktop and it's barely over a year old and today it would not start. I've tried Startup Repair about 5 times and get an error. I've tried system restore and it found a restore point but failed to complete the process. I'll attach some pictures I took of the errors. I'm pretty computer literate, or at least like to think so. Please give me some more ideas on what I can do to get this to boot back up and/or fix the problem.
I get this BSOD for a split second after it hangs up for a long time in the "Windows loading" screen then the computer reboots and hangs up on the Dell logo screen. jF9JcHO.jpg
I am able to open a command prompt. I have not tried nor know much about what I can do if I boot into safe mode or bios.
2015-02-21%2010.49.33.jpg?dl=0
2015-02-21%2010.53.08.jpg?dl=0
2015-02-21%2011.02.13.jpg?dl=0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sundarec

sundarec

• Banned Spammer
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:35 PM

Best soultion for this is,insert the OS disk ,try the repair option on it, 99 % issued will be fixed

Computer Service Expert

#3 Curb71

Curb71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:40 PM

Best soultion for this is,insert the OS disk ,try the repair option on it, 99 % issued will be fixed

Computer Service Expert

I did that and it also failed :(

Edited by Animal, 22 February 2015 - 03:12 PM.
EDIT: to remove spam link in quoted reply

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:05 PM

FWIW:  http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/266826-random-bsod-iastor-sys-related-error-code-d1.html AND http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/130283-bsod-iastor-sys-error.html .

Louis

#5 Curb71

Curb71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:33 PM

The first link is for someone that can get Windows to load. I can't even get that far. The second link goes way over my head at post 11.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7paqzhoigvm3jd/2015-02-22%2011.48.24.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hg2hl07977wnqr/2015-02-22%2020.25.00.mp4?dl=0

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:42 PM

iastorya.sys is intel's rapid storage driver. Does the computer boot normally if you change AHCI in BIOS to IDE?

#7 Curb71

Curb71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:56 PM

iastorya.sys is intel's rapid storage driver. Does the computer boot normally if you change AHCI in BIOS to IDE?

I haven't tried this yet but I'll try it now. I was up all night googling everything and trying to figure it out. Finally I just reinstalled the OS and it booted up, I installed some drivers and windows updates and noticed some of the drivers did not work even though I'm getting them right from Dell's website. After a few times restarting I got the message that the computer was unable to restart and kept getting errors installing drivers. I thought maybe the SSD was the problem. I bought a new SSD and reinstalled windows 7 and the drivers and about 200 windows updates and AVG & Malwarebytes (they can run together, right?) and restarted after a lot of windows updates and got the message, "You computer was unable to start" AGAIN. The Startup repair was successful. But if this keeps happening I gotta figure something out. I guess I'll return the SSD tomorrow. Could the SATA cable be the problem? 

Also the computer stays on the "Starting Windows" screen for 3+ minutes sometimes. That mean something?

Edited by Curb71, 24 February 2015 - 12:00 AM.

#8 Curb71

Curb71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:18 AM

I haven't tried this yet but I'll try it now. I was up all night googling everything and trying to figure it out. Finally I just reinstalled the OS and it booted up, I installed some drivers and windows updates and noticed some of the drivers did not work even though I'm getting them right from Dell's website. After a few times restarting I got the message that the computer was unable to restart and kept getting errors installing drivers. I thought maybe the SSD was the problem. I bought a new SSD and reinstalled windows 7 and the drivers and about 200 windows updates and AVG & Malwarebytes (they can run together, right?) and restarted after a lot of windows updates and got the message, "You computer was unable to start" AGAIN. The Startup repair was successful. But if this keeps happening I gotta figure something out. I guess I'll return the SSD tomorrow. Could the SATA cable be the problem? 

Also the computer stays on the "Starting Windows" screen for 3+ minutes sometimes. That mean something?

In BIOS I found "Onboard Device Configuration" and in there is SATA Mode and it is AHCI with no option to edit it or change it to IDE.

#9 si_yo_neo

si_yo_neo

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:46 AM

It could be the Secure Boot , try this once in bios change Secure Boot Mode to Custom and Secure Boot to Disabled save it and exit and see if helps.

#10 Curb71

Curb71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:17 AM

It doesn't seem to let me change that either. https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4rdpodqu1zxxvv/2015-02-24%2000.14.47.jpg?dl=0

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:14 AM

After a reinstall you should have AHCI. Your BIOS settings are correct, Legacy is enabled and SecureBoot is disabled. SecureBoot is for Windows 8 and above. If you changed the boot mode to UEFI then you would need to format the disk as GPT.

If you purchased a new SSD and you still have the same issue,it may be a driver or hardware problem, possibly a cable as you suggested. Did you change SATA cables after purchasing the new disk?  Do you see any errors in Event Viewer?

Do a memory test with memtest+. Let it run for at least 6 passes. Tapping F12 at boot on a Dell should let you access the Dell Diagnostics. See if that detects a problem.

How long did windows take to boot after initial install? 3 minutes to boot is not normal.  You do not have to install updates during the install. Do a bare minimum install and then do manual updates. Maybe 20 or so at a time and see how the computer runs.

AVG and Malwarebytes is fine as long as only one is doing on-access scanning. You have Malwarebytes Free, correct? If you are running Malwarebytes Pro then you should not be running AVG at the same time.

#12 Curb71

Curb71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:28 PM

After a reinstall you should have AHCI. Your BIOS settings are correct, Legacy is enabled and SecureBoot is disabled. SecureBoot is for Windows 8 and above. If you changed the boot mode to UEFI then you would need to format the disk as GPT.

If you purchased a new SSD and you still have the same issue,it may be a driver or hardware problem, possibly a cable as you suggested. Did you change SATA cables after purchasing the new disk?  Do you see any errors in Event Viewer?

Do a memory test with memtest+. Let it run for at least 6 passes. Tapping F12 at boot on a Dell should let you access the Dell Diagnostics. See if that detects a problem.

How long did windows take to boot after initial install? 3 minutes to boot is not normal.  You do not have to install updates during the install. Do a bare minimum install and then do manual updates. Maybe 20 or so at a time and see how the computer runs.

AVG and Malwarebytes is fine as long as only one is doing on-access scanning. You have Malwarebytes Free, correct? If you are running Malwarebytes Pro then you should not be running AVG at the same time.

I installed all the drivers from Dell's site that say they are for my computer however I've changed the HDD (adding a SSD) and upgraded the video card and added a bluray burner so it's not as stock as Dell thinks I guess. Is there a program that can tell me what drivers I actually need? I noticed the driver for hard wired internet wasn't offered to me from Dell's site. I was only able to connect via wifi. I finally found the ethernet driver after a google search but thought I wonder what other drivers I'm missing or don't need.

I have a 1TB internal HDD and it keeps disappearing. I'm wondering if there's a driver I need for it but don't know how to find it. 

I didn't change the SATA cable when I swapped the SSD but I'm thinking about returning the new SSD. If it isn't actually the problem then I don't need to waste $100. Maybe I'll try reinstalling the OS on the OG SSD with the new SATA cable and see how it is. I don't know what EventViewer is. 

I let memtest run from a flash drive for 1.5 hours and it said there were no problems. Not sure how many passes that is. Does it provide a log file with info? 

Windows always takes at least a minute or 2 to boot up from the Welcome screen. Yes, I'm using the free Malewarebytes with free AVG. 

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:50 PM

If you have a 1TB internal that keeps disappearing then I would think you have motherboard issues or maybe the SATA cable is defective.  I would return the new SSD drive as you say if it did not solve the problem. Did you try tapping F12 at boot to get to the Dell Diagnostics?

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager? Look in Event Viewer for any errors. Are there any diagnostic lights on the back of the Dell? Some have a set of lights for diagnostics

I don't think 1.5 hours is enough. It actually is best to run the test overnight.

#14 Curb71

Curb71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:29 PM

If you have a 1TB internal that keeps disappearing then I would think you have motherboard issues or maybe the SATA cable is defective.  I would return the new SSD drive as you say if it did not solve the problem. Did you try tapping F12 at boot to get to the Dell Diagnostics?

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager? Look in Event Viewer for any errors. Are there any diagnostic lights on the back of the Dell? Some have a set of lights for diagnostics

I don't think 1.5 hours is enough. It actually is best to run the test overnight.

I did the Dell Diagnostics and it found a problem with my hard drive but I don't know if that means there is actually something wrong with it or it is just saying it's not the OEM drive. 

I have one unknown device in the USB Controllers section of the device manager.

I see a million things on Event Viewer but I've never used it before and am not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for. I saved all the info to a log file it made (.evtx) but don't know how to share it here.

There are no lights on the back of the computer but when it ran the Dell Diagnostics and found the problem with the hard drive it started all kinds of different beeps from computer itself (not through the speakers like all other sound).

I let memtest run for almost a full day this time around.

2015-02-25%2012.47.39.jpg?_subject_uid=3

2015-02-25%2016.06.53.jpg?_subject_uid=3

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:10 PM

The hard drive error was for the SSD or 1TB drive? Are you still getting the same blue screen after the new install? You ran the memory test for a full day and no errors were found, correct? Have you tried a new SATA cable?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users