Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The best antivirus and malware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 leannelewis

leannelewis

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:17 PM

I have just bought a brand new laptop can anyone recommend the best antivirus software.

Do I need separate malware or a programme combined. Its a minefield our there for a newbie

thank you

Edited by hamluis, 22 February 2015 - 12:33 PM.
Moved from Win 10 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:30 PM

Hello there,

There is no "one size fits all" solution for everyone. There is a product for everyone out there - we just need to find the one that suits us.

If you would be kind and tell us some info, we will be happy to provide recommendations.

- Your system specs?

- Free or paid solution?

- Which OS are you using?

- Do you have any special requirements (speed, reliability etc.)?

Regards,
Alex

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:58 PM

I have just bought a brand new laptop can anyone recommend the best antivirus software.

As noted by Alexstrasza, there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. In many cases choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference and what works best on a particular system. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs. Please read:

Here are links to some recent BC discussion topics with opinions from other members:

Here are links to polls about this very subject:

Do I need separate malware or a programme combined. Its a minefield our there for a newbie

An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. However, there can be some overlap in functionality and detection features depending on the program's scanning engine, how the vendor defines a specific threat and what Naming Standards are used. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs generally scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.

Anti-malware programs generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.

Please read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:27 PM

I'm going to also add a question to Alex's list of question that I find quite important: what do you mostly use your computer for?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:52 AM

Regardless of what a computer is used for...both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution is required for maximum protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:23 AM

I didn't say otherwise, I just think that we can recommend an appropriate Antivirus solution if leannelewis tells us what she does on her computer since we can find an Antivirus that fits her needs.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:23 PM

I didn't say otherwise, I just think that we can recommend an appropriate Antivirus solution if leannelewis tells us what she does on her computer since we can find an Antivirus that fits her needs.

Without knowing "personal tests and ideas" you can never give advice, just your "personal opinions" .. I test about 10 every year (free and sample versions) ..

I like Y.A.C. as it covers many options, but others call it an infection ~ Personal tests and opinions only matter in these cases.

You can leave a list of 10 paid and free programs, and we can all find a fault somewhere ...........

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

You know that YAC is indeed a malicious programs since it have malware-like behavior? Check this out:

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/yac.mx?utm_source=addon&utm_content=warn-viewsc

unite_blue.png

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:16 PM

I do not believe any of that ( Combofix is a malicious program when tested ) .. Most programs that test your system are sent back as infections ..

Try Screen317 Security Check, this has always been regarded as a malicious program from most sources !!! Yet we use it every day -

Any program that wants to investigate or alter your basic operating system is always called malicious by other programs ..

Have you read my 2 tests on this program, both written in this area, and both had the program installed for at least a week ??

If not then find them and read them - The program is not an infection, but a well written AntiVirus / AntiMalware program (most likely copied from other programs)..

I ran this as my only Antivirus / Antimalware system, and prior to Simple removal I got no reaction from Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program, or ESET Online scanner ..

That is called Research, not just reading a few bits from other posts ~ You should try it ......

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:27 PM

You know that ComboFix, SecurityCheck, etc. are detected as malicious executables because of the way they work? The only thing they do when ran is to scan the system for information, simple as that. ComboFix only interacts with it when you give it a fix-list. They have been proven as trustworthy by the community. I have yet to see anyone vouch for the trustworthiness of YAC.

Have you read my 2 tests on this program, both written in this area, and both had the program installed for at least a week ??
If not then find them and read them

You want me to read them, you link me them. I'm not going to search for articles someone asks me to read but doesn't provides me the links.

The program is not an infection, but a well written AntiVirus / AntiMalware program (most likely copied from other programs)..

Hence why I've seen many threads on BleepingComputer and GeeksToGo where people ask what is that program and how to remove it, is that right? To this, add my personal experience encountering that program many times and my answer is definitive, it's not a good program to use. I've seen it being bundled with a lot of freewares, another reason to stay way for it.

That is called Research, not just reading a few bits from other posts ~ You should try it ......

Retracting my last comment before I start another argument.

Edited by Aura., 23 February 2015 - 06:34 PM.

unite_blue.png

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:55 PM

My apologies to the Original Poster leannelewis for allowing your topic to be hijacked by members with strong personal opinions. As you can see this is a highly personal matter. We should have left it at information provided to and for you, to make your own decisions. Not have members argue their own opinions with each other in your topic.

I am closing this topic to prevent further arguments based on personal opinions.

If you have questions regarding information provided so far? Please create a new topic and we will try and answer them objectively.

This is not normally how Bleeping Computer assists those looking for guidance. Again my apologies to the original poster.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users