Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting rid of "Other" on drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 captainconrad

captainconrad

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:15 PM

I have a Macbook Air and i love it to death, but I can barley get by with the terrible 120 GB ssd. I currently have 1.5 GB left right now, because almost half of my space is being taken up by "other". I'm looking for different ways to wipe this out as good as i can, because I assume a LOT of those files are unneeded right now and I just need a way to figure out what files to wipe and what's the quickest way of doing it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:07 PM

What the "Other" Storage Space is in Mac OS X & How to Clear It Up

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:39 PM

The link that Buddyme2 will certainly help.

I can also highly recommend a program called DaisyDisk (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/daisydisk/id411643860?mt=12). It will provide a graphical interface that can very much help you narrow down big files to get ride of on your hard drive. I use it regularly when I need to trim down stuff.

The other overall option is to upgrade the SSD. This may depend on the version of the MBA you have (not sure if there are upgrades available for the latest and greatest MBAs, but there definitely are for older MBAs). You can get upgrade drives from OWC: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/

#4 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:06 PM

I have a macbook pro - are these directions specific for macbook air? When I follow the instructions I don't get the tabs or graph and the list I get doesn't have any "other" listed.

Also, I have forgotten what SSD and MBA stand for?

Edited by MaryBet82, 24 March 2015 - 03:07 PM.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

#5 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:32 PM

"Other" is not listed in About This Mac under Mac OS X 10.6, if that is the version your Mac has.

SSD = Solid State Drive

MBA = Macbook Air

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users