Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd, Choppy Behavior

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tmcburney

tmcburney

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:36 AM

Hi,

I have a Windows XP Media Center Edition PC, version 5.1, Service Pack 3.  My AV (Verizon's Internet Security Suite) runs clean except for periodic notifications that some programs are out of date, which I update when notified.

The PC performance seems choppy to me lately.  I don't know how else to desrcribe it in a word.  By choppy, I mean that the mouse sometimes jumps all the way across the screen, or frequently hangs when dragging across the screen.  Frequently, when in a program, click or drag functions with the mouse result in unexepected results.  In Excel, for instance, dragging a down a column to select a range of cells will move all of the cells, or begin editing a formula within one of the cells.  Clicking a toolbar item in FireFox will instead drag the item along the toolbar.  These kind of things.

I worry these may be indications of infection because, for computers at work (not this PC I am writing about, but my PC at work), we often give control of our screens to our helpdesk, and the mouse action becomes choppy when someone has remote control of the computer.

So I wonder if there is some program running, unknown to me, that is providing remote access to it or sending screen captures or keyboard captures in the background.

Is there a way I can tell whether what I'm seeing is just poor performance of an old PC on a now unsupported OS, or if there is something malicious going on?

Thank you.

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rock278

rock278

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:33 AM

Hi, tmcburney. From what I'm reading from your forum post it seems like its mostly system lag and you may have to clean some space or upgrade your windows version from XP to the latest OS Windows 7 or 8. As of that choice you will have to buy a new computer. I use CCleaner to clear space on my laptop and it may work for you. However, since I am at a young age(12, nearly 13 if you're curious) I mostly recommend what I've used from my experience of clearing such things like Disk Space, Lag, or Malware. I don't use Anti-Virus though I know I should, but I use Anti-Malware if you don't have any as well as an Anti-Virus.

Just some extra information about your computer, I'm just making sure that you don't have any toolbars or suspicious programs on your desktop.

(I have little experience with Windows XP, but  hopefully CCleaner can run on it =) )

CCleaner Free:

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

-rock278

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users