Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

98 Will not recognize second hard drive

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:17 AM

I have a 40gb drive as my primary master and a 15gb drive as my primary slave, but 98 will not recognize the second hard drive. Bios recognizes the drive and so does gpated as well as other drive utilities bootable cds. but win98 will not. it is not in device manager and add new hardware wizard doesn't find anything when I have it search for hardware. any advice to get it fixed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:36 AM

The only thing I can think of that may be the problem is to make sure the drive is formatted Fat32 and not NTFS but I would think the drive should be in device manager.

#3 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 395 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:05 AM

it is indeed fat32, gparted and other utilities also says so but it is not in device manager, computer, or anywhere in win98. it is only in bios and formatting utilities. I even tried unallocated drive to force 98 to ask to format, still nothing. not even a 'found new hardware' window dialog

Edited by Sylveon Fetish, 22 February 2015 - 10:06 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:25 AM

I am not sure if it makes a difference with Windows 98 but make sure the slave drive has the jumper set to slave and not CS (cable select) or master. You could also put the hard drive on the secondary IDE port as Master and set the optical drive to slave on the same cable to see if Windows 98 recognizes it.

See this page. Master or Slave location depends on which ribbon cable you have 40wire or 80wire.

#5 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 395 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:44 PM

the main OS is set to master and the other hard drive is set to slave according to http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb343/MarkAnto619/IDE%20CONFIG/seagate-jumpers_w.jpg your link had no pictures where to set it at

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:04 PM

I can't understand why Windows 98 does not detect it if it is seen in BIOS and is formatted FAT32. See if changing from Slave to Cable Select works. If changing the jumper to CS does not work the only thing I could recommend is what I posted, put the other hard drive on a separate IDE channel as master.  I am not sure what the problem is, sorry.  Maybe somebody else on the forum has some additional thoughts.

#7 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 395 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:34 AM

Just to let you know, during boot, boot also recognizes it as a primary slave when the ascii text displaying attached devices before 98 logs on, the os, however; does not

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:08 AM

Did this drive have anything on it when installed? Just throwing out a thought but have you tried deleting the existing partitions in Gparted and reformatting to FAT32?

#9 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 395 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:24 AM

I mentioned already that I already did that.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:01 AM

In Gparted select the drive and under Partitions in the menu bar select Manage Partitions and give the partition the boot flag. Reboot and see if the drive is then detected.

Gparted-to-edit-partition-flags.png

#11 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 395 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:13 PM

changing the slave to cable select only made things worse. now the computer doesn't see either drive, nor does gparted. anything else?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:34 PM

I am out of ideas. Was the drive detected again when you put the drive as slave? I can't understand how putting the jumper on cable select would affect the detection of a drive. Is the ribbon cable you have 40 wire or 80 wire?

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:45 PM

Long ago, I had two twin IDE HDs. When one failed, I moved to two twin ATA SATA HDs.  Are we working with two IDEs, or two SATAs.  Or, is it possible that we are working with SATA controller type A, 1 HD being SATA type A, the 2nd HD being SATA type B? Fry's showed me there were, at that time, two different types of SATA controllers and HDs.

Edited by RolandJS, 25 February 2015 - 09:01 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#14 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,997 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:00 AM

Hi,

Make sure the BIOS is detecting the drive again with the correct size then try this:

- open the device manager

- locate the IDE controllers under Hard Disk Controllers remove them but only accept to restart after removing the last one

- restart the computer

- let windows reinstall the controllers and restart

- check if windows see both drives

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#15 auguske

auguske

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:44 AM

really? I haven't see win98 in my hometown, just remind me of my childhood

0 user(s) are reading this topic