Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ProBox HDF-SU2 ext HD enclosure not seen by Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Arfer

Arfer

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:52 AM

Hi, a friend of mine has dropped off a Mac HD to recover some pictures for him. He supplied the HD and a ProBox HDF-SU2. This I would think to be plug and play but no matter what I do including swapping to known good USB sockets the ext dive is not being seen. Windows is not even offering to install a driver for the ProBox HDF-SU2. Any help gratefully received. TIA.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:07 AM

MAC's use a different file system called HFS+. If the drive is formatted to that file system, then windows will not see it. You could boot a live linux Distro. The latest version of Puppy linux should mount the drive as read only. When you attach the external drive in Puppy you should see a USB icon appear on the desktop. Click once on it and the drive should automatically mount and the File Manager will open.

Your Internal drive in Puppy should be called sda1 or sda2. If you have WIndows 7 it will most likely be sda2. Click once on it and another file manager will open. On the file manager of the external you can select files by left clicking with the Ctrl key or windowing around your files/folders. Once highlighted drag the files over to your internal drive file manager. A small dialog window will open. Select Copy, not Move, and click the Quiet button.

You could also download Ubuntu 12.04. That should see the file system.  In Ubuntu you would see a USB icon in the Unity panel on the left. You would need to double click that to mount and open the file manager in Ubuntu. There should be a local disk icon. That is your internal drive. Double clicking on that will mount the drive and open the file manager. You can use the same procedure as Puppy.

If you cannot get the external drive to mount post back. We may be able to mount the external drive manually.

#3 Arfer

Arfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:24 AM

Hi thanks for the reply, I know the mac file system is different but I would expect the drive to show up in Device manager. I have a dual boot on this machine with Ubuntu 14.04 and have just opened that and still do not see the drive .....

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,029 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:34 AM

If Ubuntu does not see the drive then I think it's the enclosure that is the problem. You may want to pull the drive from the enclosure and use a simple USB adapter.

#5 Arfer

Arfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:41 AM

I have a spare slot for a 2nd HD in my computer so might try that 1st. What do you reckon ?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,029 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:55 AM

That would also work.

#7 Arfer

Arfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:08 AM

Thanks very much JohnC_21 . Won't be able to get time to try it till tomorrow but will report back. All the best, Arfer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users