Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure I'm in the right department with this to be honest.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 billybonkers63

billybonkers63

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:03 AM

A lot of the problems I encounter (on a regular basis) could I think be resolved by some-one who knew about computers,I try but don't really understand some of the basics. I've heard of 'remote assistance' but where or how could I be reasonably sure they were honest people beforehand, is this even possible ? Any clues please, BB.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Johnny Computer

Johnny Computer

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:46 AM

Hello Biilybonkers63-

If you are having issues with your computer and suspect you may have malware you can post here and one of our experts will look at your system to see if you are infected.  If so, we can guide you through the clean up process.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are interested in increasing your knowledge about computers in general Bleeping Computer is a great place to start.  Try going through the tutorials section on our website and picking out any topic that interests you. There is a lot of information and the tutorials are written by people who really know their stuff.   :)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you can be more specific about what it is about computers you are interested in perhaps we can provide you with better references. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've heard of 'remote assistance  but where or how could I be reasonably sure they were honest people beforehand

Remote Assistance is basically when you allow someone else to access your computer from theirs by adjusting settings and installing software on yours that will allow them to access your computer from a remote location. This is usually done by companies that provide computer support over the phone and can make the fixing process go easier.  There are certainly legitimate companies who use remote access to provide help  but as you alluded to there are also many many scams that will offer to provide remote assistance but in reality they just want access to your system.

As to how to find a reputable company that provides remote assistance I would ask around in your local area for people who have had positive experiences with this.  It is something that you want to be careful about and make sure you are using someone reputable and in my experience the best way to do that is word of mouth.

Hope this is helpful Billy   :)

avatar591802_2.gif"DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY."

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:03 AM

Remote assistance is expensive. Lots of scammers. If you decide to use one, ask about the particular business here first.

BC offers advice and assistance free for all levels of users....beginners through pros. BC does not offer Remote Assistance.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:58 AM

Perspective:  If you have continually recurring computer problems...not malware problems...then I suggest that you do the following.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users