Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Conky Settings and Scripts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:43 PM

Al000's quote from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/567477/how-to-install-and-configure-conky-system-monitor/ 

"You can see the default configuration file at /etc/conky/conky.conf, and you'll find other useful documents in /usr/share/doc/conky-all"

I would love to know how to access these files, this is one thing I am having issues with.  I understand how to get the the root files/file system but cannot find the file above to look at.  I went to usr > share > and then cannot find it.  I also tried to search it when in Dolphin, and in the terminal lol.

Gotta start somewhere so here I am.  I have used an editor a few times so I think I can do this, but am just stumped at the first direction here, not good for me.

pcpunk out!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:01 AM

Al000's quote from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/567477/how-to-install-and-configure-conky-system-monitor/ 

"You can see the default configuration file at /etc/conky/conky.conf, and you'll find other useful documents in /usr/share/doc/conky-all"

I would love to know how to access these files, this is one thing I am having issues with.  I understand how to get the the root files/file system but cannot find the file above to look at.  I went to usr > share > and then cannot find it.  I also tried to search it when in Dolphin, and in the terminal lol.

Gotta start somewhere so here I am.  I have used an editor a few times so I think I can do this, but am just stumped at the first direction here, not good for me.

pcpunk out!

Did you try opening the directory in root and make sure your file manager is allowing viewing of hidden files?

Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca & Windows 8.1 Dual Boot.

Dell E6410 i5 7.60518 Gib of ram

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,103 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:58 PM

mralias518  No I did not, thanks for the info.  Still learning this stuff so this is very well appreciated.  I would love to do a little customizing so I will have to learn.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:50 AM

I would love to know how to access these files

You can browse to them in Dolphin, or use the terminal.

conky.conf is in /etc/conky/

to open conky.conf in less:

less /etc/conky/conky.conf

...then use the up and down keys on your keyboard to scroll up and down the page in the terminal; press q to quit less and return to the command prompt.

You will find a few files in /usr/share/doc/conky-all

al@puppypc:~$ cd /usr/share/doc/conky-all
al@puppypc:/usr/share/doc/conky-all$ ls
AUTHORS.gz         config_settings.html  docs.html  README
changelog.Debian.gz  copyright           lua.html   variables.html

Edited by Al1000, 24 February 2015 - 11:52 AM.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,103 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:07 PM

Okay guys got it!  "You will find a few files in /usr/share/doc/conky-all"  I'm starting to get it, simple but foreign, to me at least.  I was preferring to do this with Dolphin for now, so I got that, now I will check out the terminal.  The less software very cool.

Edited by pcpunk, 24 February 2015 - 04:19 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users