Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making images look the same between multiple computer displays?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MrsDreamweaver

MrsDreamweaver

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:24 PM

Hello! I am a graphic design student and I have two very big problems that I could use help with. I've already tried to fix it myself and I've been all over the Internet (it could be that I haven't asked the right questions). If I can solve this without having to replace parts or spend money, I'd be eternally grateful to you guys as I am the steretype of broke college student.

1. I use multiple computers when I'm working on projects. My laptop has a fixed resolution of 1600 by 900 and will ONLY use widescreen resolutions--it won't let me adjust that. It has an AMD graphics card (or software--not sure which). This results in two headaches:   if I draw something on here, save it to a flash-drive, then put it into a school computer, the image is elongated and everything appears stretched out horizontally. If I draw something on the school computer and then bring it home, the image is vertically too skinny. I suspect that they use a 16 x 10 resolution since all the monitors are very big. Is there some sort of workaround I can use to make my images look the same or almost the same across multiple computers? The software I primarily use is GIMP though I also use Adobe programs occasionally. I understand that aspect ratio is a big player in this as it's 1:1.78 or something--the trouble is knowing where and how to compensate for that.

2. My screen frequently pales out colors. I have tried adjusting my colors, gamma, brightness, and so forth both through AMD's "Control Center" and through the Windows configuration, but I can't get the colors to be consistent. If anyone has specific numbers on what I need to type in there, I'd greatly appreciate that--I definitely want to see the same thing my clients are seeing and it would probably result in less eyestrain. Again, even if I can only adjust GIMP itself and not the rest of the computer, that would be okay, too. The biggest offenders are fleshy and earthy tones--many of the people I draw on the laptop appear sickly and pale even if their colors are quite rich on the other ones.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:41 PM

If an image looks different on different displays then the image is the same and the two (or more machines) have their monitors calibrated differently. For colour you need to choose which machine shows the colours best, then open the image on it and the other machines and have them side by side. Calibrate those other machines until all look the same when displaying the image. Regarding aspect ratios, these should not vary between computers, if they do it is once again because some of the computers have monitors calibrated so that things are stretched or squeezed.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 GeePee29

GeePee29

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:24 AM

If you want to get your monitors all looking the same the only sure way is to get the monitors calibrated. You need to use a device like a Huey Pro or similar. I suggest you also do a bit of reading about colour profiles on various devices. If you are going to be doing serious graphic design work then you need not only the computer, but also printers and scanners calibrated correctly as well.

This can become quite a complex issue because other things like the colour temperature of the lights in the room you are working in and even the colour of the walls can change the way our eyes perceive colour.

There is no quick, easy and free answer to this problem. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users